LegacyGT.com

Bilstein PSS Coilover questions

issai

I had the local shop, Harman Motive, install the Bilstein PSS coilovers which I bought from atc5. So far, I absolutely love the new attitude of the car!

However, I have a few questions about them:

- After installing the coilovers, I notice that the car rocks or oscillates forward and backward, about 6-8 times, the moment the car comes to a complete stop. I'm braking harder, the rocking is more apparent. With more gradual braking, the rocking isn't as obvious, but still noticeable. This is with a largely stock suspension, and stock brakes with Endless pads in front. atc5 and I are ready to rule out the coilovers themselves since he didn't notice this issue. Any ideas?

- I had the coilovers installed without adjusting their height, and my ride height appears slightly lower from stock. Is there any gotchas trying to increase my ride height back to stock?

- Also, how will I know the coilovers are due for rebuild?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like they are due for a rebuild now. Try going over a speed bump. Does the car stop bouncing or not? If the car is bouncing on the springs the struts are shot. Springs hold the car up, struts stop the car from bouncing on the springs (very simplified).

Stock tire pressure. I'll have to find a speed bump and post my results later on, but I don't seem to recall the car being unable to stop bouncing after going over a few of them over the last couple of days.

If the car is moving forward and back on hard stops it sounds like it is "bouncing" on the springs. Wont be a pogo stick effect till struts are shot. But will gradually lose the ability to stop the springs. Give it a try and see if the struts are controlling the springs. Prob time for a freshening up.

If the car is moving forward and back on hard stops it sounds like it is "bouncing" on the springs. Wont be a pogo stick effect till struts are shot. But will gradually lose the ability to stop the springs. Give it a try and see if the struts are controlling the springs. Prob time for a freshening up.

+2 Rebuild/revalve in your future.

Sounds like the struts are losing their ability to dampen your springs oscillations. Did you try to adjust the rebound to see if that helps any? Now the question is Who rebuilds/revalves bilstein PSSs?

I don't think this bilstein PSS has rebound adjustment.

He says that these coilovers did not do it on the seller's car. I doubt that removing and remounting would do that to coilovers. I was thinking about buying these too, and according to the seller they were rebuilt not too long ago and felt perfect. He had lots of other mods too, so something might have dampened the effect on seller's car.

Good stuff!

I've got to find me some speed bumps tomorrow to put the verdict of the mysterious bounce to rest. Meanwhile, questioning the seller's characterization of the coilovers's condition was the least of my intentions-- at least for now. :icon_twis

But even if the coilovers are on their way out, it's amazing how they're still 10000000x better than my prior set of well-used OEM struts / shocks.

IIRC, the only Bilstein PSS type coilover that fits the LGT is the JDM-only version, which is actually called the BSS-KIT. (Unclemat, the godfather of suspension setups, or at least of the Bilstein variety, will correct me if I'm wrong) The BSS definitely does not have rebound adjustment. As for servicing, you can send them to Bilstein USA. Their website has prices for the various types of services.

OK, did the speed bump test in a parking lot filled with them, going at speeds from typical parking lot speeds to slightly higher.

Verdict: No bouncing beyond what I'd expect from a speed bump. Car nominally rises from the wheels upon initial impact with speed bump, descends below the baseline point after the speed bump's peak, then stabilizes / "stops" at baseline.

But I'm still getting the 6-8 oscillations, going forward & backward, at every stop. Small oscillations, almost unnoticeable if not paying attention, definitely noticeable if I am.

I haven't really had any passengers in the car in the past week, but I'll ask the one who'll be in it tomorrow.

It's not a matter of just feeling the bobbing action, per se. I notice it visually while watching my hoodline bob forward and backward.

Archived