LegacyGT.com

Need shocks... and advice.

HarryN

Hey all,

Before I start, I DO NOT WANT MOTHER F'kin COIL-OVERS FOR THE LOVE OF JOOBARU!!! With as many times as I heard Josh say get coil-overs, I am starting to hate them with a passion. :lol: And no Josh, I don't want saggy butt spacers either because you need to get the longer studs for the rear shocks. Feel free to call Jeremy at Fred Beans.

Anyways, it looks like my driver side shocks are blown. They are sitting lower than the passenger side. This all happened when I was going down Georgia Avenue on the University Blvd intersection. I hit a pothole pretty hard and blew two tires because of it. The speed I was going was 30 mph (mainly because there was a cop clocking people so I couldn't speed anyways). So while I was paying attention to the PIG, this happens.

So now, I am thinking of getting new shocks. I still have my stock shocks that came with the car plus the stock springs. They also have their top hats installed as well. Now here is the question I pose to y'all:

1.) Shall I install the stock shocks, change the inserts, then install my lowering springs, or

2.) Keep the Bilsteins with Spec. B top hats (which raise the living shit out of a non Spec B. LGT in the front), change the inserts and possibly the springs as well so it doesn't look slammed.

The shocks I have been looking at are the following:

Option 1:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/b/i/bilstein_hd_series_1.jpg

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/suspension-parts/bilstein-hd-strut-and-spec-b-top-hat-kit.html

Yes it is Bilstein, but not the Spec B. equivalent which raises our front end like a jeep.

Option 2:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/k/o/koni_sport_shocks_md_2.jpg

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/suspension-parts/koni-subaru-legacy-gt-sport-absorbers.html

These are Koni inserts and rear shocks. I could reinstall my original suspension and slap these bad boys in. Should be safer to use the RSR Ti-2000 springs since the car sat quite high before with the original suspension. But I am unsure.

Option 3:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/k/y/kyb_group_m_2.jpg

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/suspension-parts/kyb-gr-2-subaru-legacy-gt-strut-s.html

These are stock replacements for a super awesome price. But I know nothing about KYB shocks aside from they are the best stock replacements money can be at a super great price. I do not know how they respond to lowering springs or anything else. I do know that Eibach and KYB combinations work extremely well since the drop is not that low and the ride is not too harsh.

So there you have it. Any help would be appreciated (minus saggy butt spacers and coil-overs).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal recommendation would be the Konis and Epic Engineering springs. I plan on installing this combo in the very near future and will be using it as my winter suspension (albeit a bit early this year) so that I can keep my RaceComp Tarmac Coilovers away from the salt and grime of New England winters.

My expectation - as an enthusiast, not as an employee of FBP - is that this combo will provide excellent comfort and a significant upgrade over the mushy stock suspension, and not a huge step down from the handling of my coilovers. The adjustability of the Konis means that you can dial in the ride the way you like it... not so much a soft-to-firm kind of thing, but the way the suspension follows dips in the road at speed and reacts in quick turns. A softer setting will allow the suspension to be more compliant at the expense of feeling a little looser during quick maneuvers. A firmer setting will mean the car will follow the surface of the road more tightly (which feels less comfortable to some) but will react more sharply to quick turns. However you like it, the adjustability is something you just can't get from the other two options. :)

-Rick

P.S. I should note that I have had Konis in the past, prior to my employment with FBP and I loved them. However I had them paired with Swift springs which I felt were too low to be used in a DD setting. At the time there were not enough spring options that would give me the stance I wanted but were well matched for the Konis, so I went with coilovers for the ability to control the ride-height. I cannot say whether the improvement in handling I noticed was due solely to getting off the bump-stops, or if the dampers in the coilover are that much better, but I have no hesitation in using or recommending Konis as long as they are paired with a proper spring.

Hey Rick!!

Thank you for your input. Now when you say get the Koni inserts and Epic springs, shall I keep the Bilsteins I have on now or use the Koni inserts with the stock shocks that came with my car? My stock shocks are still intact with their top hats and springs.

My Bilsteins were pre-assembled (fresh off a Spec B) with their top hats on as well, but when I installed the shocks on my car, the front end looked like a jeep (sat 3 inches high!!!!) while the rear was sitting at a good 1 inch. When I installed the RSR Ti-2000 springs, my car looked SLAMMED in the rear, but the fronts looked perfect. I didn't like the slammed look in the rear so I switched back to the original Spec B rear springs and it raised the car to 1.3 inches in the rear now, which gave me an awesome pro-drive squat and sick on-power steering. But now my front driver side shock is blown. :(

What shall I do?

Koni with the Bilsteins I have on now, or slap on the original shocks that came with my car, go with the Koni inserts, and the epic springs?

I don't know that anyone has installed the Konis into the Bilstein housings or if it is even possible.

I would recommend installing the Konis into the OEM struts and pairing it with the Epic springs. If your OEM top hats and hardware are in good shape then I would reuse them until they need replacing. If the bearing in the top hats is a little "grindy" (mine were at 30,000 miles) then you should replace them.

I would sell the Bilsteins at a lowered price (they can be rebuilt by Bilstein, check their website for more info) and sell the RSR springs, for which you should be able to recoup most of their cost. Then you can take advantage of the introductory sale price on the Epic Springs that we are offering, along with the low price we always offer on Konis.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. :)

Best,

Rick

Holy Shamboli... Front Koni strut inserts (2x) plus the rear assemblies (2x) coupled with the EPIC springs (1x - I hope that includes all 4 springs) brings me out to $814!!! :(

Upon further reading on Fred Beans's site, it said the Koni inserts fit inside the OE struts after "after cutting top and removing old internal parts." Cutting top??? Removing what internal parts?

Too bad they're $859. :eek:

So with the spec B top hats these bolt in and my car would retain the same ride height I have now with pinks and stock shocks?

I would think so. You could try and find some lightly used Bilsteins if you want to save a bit.

Too bad they're $859. :eek:

So with the spec B top hats these bolt in and my car would retain the same ride height I have now with pinks and stock shocks?

The Spec B. Top Hats are required for the Bilsteins and yes, they will raise your car's front end quite high. With the STI pinks, it will drop the front end back to stock ride height that you have now (assuming you do not have the Bilsteins installed with Spec B top hats.).

I would think so. You could try and find some lightly used Bilsteins if you want to save a bit.

Or if you want, Matt, I could sell you my set when I decide to get these Koni inserts and Epic springs. I bought these shocks for $800. I will sell them for $500 with their stock springs (less shipping). The front driver's side shock will need a rebuild. I lost a good .4 inches on my car. So with lowering springs, it looks like the wheel is almost touching my fender. But then again, RSR Ti-2000 springs are VERY aggressive in drop (1.7 in the front 1.3 in the rear).

doing the Koni insert is not very hard at all. The biggest thing is the measurment were to cut. Leave it long to be safe and adjust smaller cuts when it is at the right point. A pipe cutter will do the job. There are posts and pics on here of how to do it step by step.

Harry - I was set on getting the konis with the msi (eibach springs) and Pirouz recommended that I use the kybs. He said he has installed this setup many times and customers like it. He said to save the money and not get the konis. I just got kybs for $250 from tire rack. Im getting these installed on saturday by DPS. Let me know if you want to see and ride in this setup before you make your decision. -armando

Keep the Bilstein HD's and do this mod to them - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/blistein-hd-bump-stop-mod-99244.html?t=99244&highlight=RCE+bilstein+bump

Then pair them w/ pinks. You can get a pair for manual sedan for the front and wagon springs for the rear. That should help even it out a bit. Part number would be:

Front: ST2038021010 and Rear: ST2038021010

Keep the Bilstein HD's and do this mod to them - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/blistein-hd-bump-stop-mod-99244.html?t=99244&highlight=RCE+bilstein+bump

Then pair them w/ pinks. You can get a pair for manual sedan for the front and wagon springs for the rear. That should help even it out a bit. Part number would be:

Front: ST2038021010 and Rear: ST2038021010

Well see the thing is my driver's side shock is already blown. I lost .4 inches. So I doubt this mod would work in its current state. I'd have to get them re-calibrated.

As far as playing with springs, I think I am going to call it. I thought the RSR Ti-2000 springs would be the fix, but it dropped the front and rear WAY more than what was advertised on their site. The front of the car looked perfect with a 1.2 inch gap, but the rears looked slammed like a wagon. I put the rear OE spec B Bilstein springs back in, the car looked perfect for a week, until I blew my left front shock and lost .4 inches. I know this is nothing, but on an already aggressive lowering spring like the RSR Ti-2000 set, it looks like I'm riding Mexican. :lol:

Getting STI pink springs is a chore in itself. Either no one has them in stock or someone is selling them at way too high a price for a set. Kinda regret not getting the springs from Dave (tsunami). But at the time, I didn't think the RSR Ti-2000 springs were this aggressive a drop in the rear.

gsubarut, I will take you up on that offer. I didn't think DPS did Saturday appointments. Where did you get the KYB shocks and Eibach springs? And are you using Spec B top hats and dust covers or do you have a regular LGT?

I think I am getting tired of playing guinea pig now with my poor baby... :lol:

^^I will be at the next meet so you can check out the setup then or I can meet up before then if you want. I think DPS usually opens a few hours (10-2?) on Saturdays, but like to keep the time open for tuning or they sometimes just are closed, but if you ask for a saturday they may schedule you in depending on what you need done. KYBs came from Tire Rack and I got the springs through the MSI (eibach) group buy. I think they still have a few sets available. I am planning on using the LGT top hats.

Archived