LegacyGT.com

ATF fluid suggestions

I wouldn't go out of my way to get that. Amsoil ought to be the better fluid and it works great. IMHO if you're going to go aftermarket, might as well upgrade to synthetic. Read my initial impressions with Amsoil in the 5EAT Pride thread.

Folks, I think I'm on to something here. This is much a much cheaper alternative. Anyone have any experience with it? They specifically call out the JASO-1A spec which is the spec subaru atf-hp lists. Is this the US market version of Castrol transmax J?

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid is specially designed from a technologically advanced multi-vehicle

formula that does not have the limitations of a traditional DEXRON®-III/MERCON® multi-vehicle formulation. Castrol Import Multi-

Vehicle ATF exceeds the requirements of the JASO-1A performance standard created by Japanese Automobile Manufacturers.

This standard is recognized by Japanese OEM's in certifying ATF for use in their vehicles.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_ImportMV.pdf

Any thoughts...

This is what i used when I swapped out my tranny a few thousand miles ago. works great... i mean, at 4.99 a bottle i'm not complaining. I used like 10 bottles or something like that in my in my 4EAT.

I did the BG flush in my 4EAT using the BG Universal Synthetic ATF and the BG machine at my local Subaru dealer. Transmission has never worked better and the driveline shudder I was getting when turning is gone completely. I will have to see if it has also resolved the hard shifting when cold this winter.

I used to be anal about ATF, but not anymore. JATCO doesn't build magical trannies. Any good synthetic fluid should work, as long as it is not something off the beaten path and especially when the manufacturer says so. I would have no problem with using BG, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, obviously Amsoil, Redline, whatever.

I decided to go the OEM route. I received a response from Catrol stating that transmax j is only available as an OEM fluid at Ford, GM, and Subaru dealerships. Gee thanks. Valvoline never responded.

Theres a dealer here in CT that sells the ATF-hp at $7 / qt if you buy it online through their website. subarupartsforyou.com With shipping, it ends up being $10 / qt. But if you can pick it up in store, theres no shipping charge. It's a lot cheaper than if you just stopped down and bought it there, in person they charge $9

They will sell it by the case or by the quart, the case price is $79.00 / 12 qt.

I decided to go the OEM route. I received a response from Catrol stating that transmax j is only available as an OEM fluid at Ford, GM, and Subaru dealerships. Gee thanks. Valvoline never responded.

Theres a dealer here in CT that sells the ATF-hp at $7 / qt if you buy it online through their website. subarupartsforyou.com With shipping, it ends up being $10 / qt. But if you can pick it up in store, theres no shipping charge. It's a lot cheaper than if you just stopped down and bought it there, in person they charge $9

They will sell it by the case or by the quart, the case price is $79.00 / 12 qt.

You still have to flush out the old fluid. To do it properly you need to use a 2 bladder machine like BG or similar. You will need about 16 qts for a full flush. For the price you paid for fluid I got the fluid flushed for me at the dealer with the BG machine and fluid included.

You still have to flush out the old fluid. To do it properly you need to use a 2 bladder machine like BG or similar. You will need about 16 qts for a full flush. For the price you paid for fluid I got the fluid flushed for me at the dealer with the BG machine and fluid included.

Negative Ghostrider. This has been debated but, multiple drain and fills will provide the same benefits and is arguably much less risky.

Archived