LegacyGT.com

Trunk swap people: advice?

Bolksey85

Me and a (very) generous member on here are in the works of a trunk swap. I've never done one and I don't he has either. Anyone have a good writeup/tips/pics on doing it? As long as we both approve, we're looking to schedule for next Sunday so we have a few days.

You'll be surprised at how easy it really is, I helped my buddy out with his never having done one and we figured it out as we went. Just remove the trunk liner, disconnect and detach all the wires, and then it's 4 bolts to remove the trunk from the arms (2 on each side). Wish I had some pics for ya but I promise once you see it you'll figure it out! Going wingless?

Aaaah, thank you, sir. About the only real remaining question I have is about wiring. Is the wiring for the license plate lights a part of the same harness that is disconnected for the 3rd brake light ass'y? Basically, I'm trying to figure out how many electrical connections need to be undone. I'm thinking of removing the carpet liner ahead of time and any other disassembly before the day to save time. Also, how much of a PITA is it to remove and reattach the trunk release cable.

all the wiring is exactly the same regardless, there just isn't a plug for the spoiler light on his since there's no spoiler. I think we disconnected a total of 4 harnesses, one by the license plate light assembly, 2 in the middle, and one by the right arm. As for the trunk release cable you just pull it down and then slide it out. I don't know if you've ever removed the door panels in the GT but it's the same as the door handle cable. Good idea on removing the liner and lookin at yours first, that'll give you a better idea going in. And I would also recommend a door panel tool, I got one from Autozone for about $10, and it makes the popits in the trunk much easier to remove. Also to remove the wiring from the trunk itself it's easiest to use the holes in the trunk to reach behind the clips and squeeze em from the back.

Archived