LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT - Air Pump removal?

So my 08 LGT has an air pump bolted on the driver side front of the engine, near the battery. All plastic coated, black, and looking like a 2nd alternator glued to the side of the damn thing.

Is this a system that was put on for environmental issues? can it be bypassed? Can it be removed?

Anyone have any info on this?

Yes it can be removed and it is a bitch to do. You will need to purchase the cosworth air pump delete plates as well. I had to do this to get my STI manifold on my 08 Spec B with TGV deletes, TMIC and FP Green turbo. If you go front mount I don't think you need to remove it.

The air pump is simply for emissions and only used by the car during the start up process as the 08 Legacies no longer have a cat in the up pipe.

KStech makes the plates. That is where I got them.

You gain the loss of unsprung weight over the front end. You gain the loss of the annoying noise at start up. You gain the ability to actually get your hands into the motor area on the drivers side. You get the ability to use a 68HTA without clocking the turbo to avoid the passenger side solenoid.

Basically the thing is a POS. It was in my way. If the manifold is off it can be removed in about 1 hour. Biggest issue is saving the atmospheric sensor so the car still operates properly. Even that was a snap.

For most this is over the top. For others another day at the office.

Plenty of pix in my write up explaining how to do the mod, what codes to disable and how to modify the atmospheric sensor. My pix are in a SpecB using OEM manifold. So a better representation for most. Very few STi swaps anymore as they give no power are expensive and the "plastic" manifold has proven to flow better and reduce heat soak. Just no need anymore for the swap, though I do like the red manifold.

Plenty of pix in my write up explaining how to do the mod, what codes to disable and how to modify the atmospheric sensor. My pix are in a SpecB using OEM manifold. So a better representation for most. Very few STi swaps anymore as they give no power are expensive and the "plastic" manifold has proven to flow better and reduce heat soak. Just no need anymore for the swap, though I do like the red manifold.

I agree 100% about the alternative, if I wanted sheer power I would have gone with a FMIC and the Green HTA...much cheaper with more power than a STI swap. I still couldn't resist the pretty red manifold over the plastic one....not to mention most people don't expect it and a huge STI TMIC when you open the hood on a 08 Legacy.

Great write up on the removal of the air pump.

Thanks. I considered a swap, but I dont like the coolant resovior. I know way too anal. I already had a FMIC too. But, I must admit it is a major pain to get a good paint job on the "plastic" manifold. That and it is VERY hard to find places that specialize in powdercoating plastics still. I admire the red and the amount of work involved in what should be a simple swap (and is not really plus all the expense).

Archived