LegacyGT.com

Bad clutch or gearbox issue?

jweller

CX-7 has the MS3 Motor, CX-9 has a V6. Frankly, I can't see that motor being a great choice for a small SUV, but I guess the right auto trans would keep it in boost. Never drove one, just sat in one on the dealer floor.

The good news is that with about 350 miles on the extra s, the wifey thinks the issue is better. Shockproof is on order.

If the Extra-S didn't make it better, shockproof will take a step in the wrong direction

What makes you say that?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Because people who use shockproof or scotty's cocktail still sometimes have issues with synchros and then they switch to Extra-S and the problems go away.

Nothing works as well as Extra-S in Subaru transmissions.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Ah, then you have been led to believe incorrect information.

People have issues with Scotty's cocktail because it contains Synchromesh, which destroys Subaru transmissions.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem running Shockproof/Motul... unless they had broken components internally.

I HAVE seen situations where Extra-S hasn't done the job.

If you think about how a synchro operates, it's pretty clear why why shockproof has such a high success rate. The driving factor in synchro operation is fluid viscosity. Internal friction is what makes bearings happy. Shockproof (lightweight) has a viscosity of a 75W140, but the internal friction of a mid-weight motor oil. For all intents and purposes, it is the ideal fluid for a Subaru transmission.

If shockproof doesn't work, something is broken inside. I would say that is true for about 99% of the time.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived