LegacyGT.com

CD button does not turn on CD mode; only radio

SubieAA

Stupid question but do you have a CD in the HU? It won't switch to CD without a CD in the player.

You know, I thought the same thing. I wondered if the mechanics had removed them. I can't even get into CD mode. On the three selection button to the right with FM, CD, and AM, nothing happens when I press the top CD option. The radio stays on FM or AM depending which I pressed last. It is almost like the connection behind the button is is not making contact. I may have to open up the radio.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay,

I removed the CD changer/ temperature controller face plate to see if I could see anything wrong. It essentially has a circuit board directly behind the face plate that has sesors for all of the controls on the face plate (volume, stations, band, fan, AC, etc). Nothing looked broken, so I thought the circuit on the board just needs to be replaced -- I will go to a junkyard and easily replace the entire faceplate because I am assuming the circuit board has gone bad. I go to replace the faceplate to the main radio unit (there are a couple mutli-pin connectors and the face plate easily snaps into place). However, now, not only does the CD button not still cause the radio portion to go into CD mode, neither the radio or temparature displays work, although the controls (volume, channel) appear to work, and the AC temp is comfortable, thank goodness, on auto , you can not see the temp, and I did not detect a change when changing the temp knobs. Indeed, the only lights on are the Auto sign in the temp screen, and both the front and rear defrost lights are on.

I am going to go by a dealer and ask at parts what they think, and still going to the junkyard, but can anyone make sense of this?

You should find out if there is a cd in the cd player. If the unit jams up with disc inside it will go into "safe" mode and not do anything (ie cd button does not do anything). Mine did something similar. Cd player was working when i turned off my car. Went to start it back up and heard some horrid noises out of the changer. Some on this board have been able to get a loose cd back on track to get it working again. There are a lot of small parts in the changer so you must be careful. I have no intention of fixing mine, it's going in the trash once my new head unit comes in :D.

I re-attached the face plate and pressed it hard to make the connections, and I am back to the CD mode only not working. I will get a new used faceplate and report if that solves it.

• 1 year later...

Archived