LegacyGT.com

K&N drop in filter, worth it? (2.5i non-turbo owners only please)

Go with the AVO panel filter and be done with it. Drop it in, and have fun. No oiling. Just blow it clean if it gets dirty and slap it back in. Actually a lot of dry filters would be great to go with, versus oiled ones.

Biggest no brainer in the history of earth.

So I guess I am good to go for 90K then. :) Since my last 30K maintenance, the filter was barely dirty. I had the mechanic blow it clean anyways. So if it stays that clean, then heck yeah! Even for 3 cleaning cycles.

And your test isn't holding any water either since nobody here is debating that the K&N flows better in principle, but in practice. In other words, the motor simply doesn't suck up enough volume of air with enough force to make the stock panel filter and box a restriction. Remember that we are talking about a measly 2.5 liter 4-cylinder engine, not a 6 liter V8. It makes little to no difference for the turbo motors on the stock turbo, what makes you think the NA will move more air?

I never said anything of that sort if you are even trying to get into volumetric efficiency which it sounds like you are I never said anything of the sort. All I said is they have some damn good air flow and that it doesn't really matter which on the op chooses he has a stock engine and even after that they are all decent choices unless he buys one from some really weird poorly made brand. We are talking about air filters here not how much air can pass through a 2.5 liter or 6 cylinder vehicle. Which if you are getting into that and do the calculations for volumetric efficiency a 2.5 four cylinder with a turbo can push out waaay more air and will be more efficient then any 6 or 8 cylinder car out there. Sorry about the rant :)

• 4 months later...
I have had the K & N for a while now with no problems as long as you can read directions you should be good to go. The AVO doesn't sound bad either, I got my K&N for under $40 I think on amazon. I haven't paid attention to mpg or sound or anything else since I put it in. The legacy doesn't exactly sound racy anyway.

Archived