LegacyGT.com

Good Subie Mechanics in SFLA

kmshark

Does anyone know of a good shop in WPB, Broward, or NorthDade that performs all-work on Subies? I have a problem with my clutch/flywheel and I guess unrelated tranny issue - but I can't find anyone (besides dealers) that knows Subaru?

Well I took it to a sport tuning shop that does -NOT- specialize in Subarus but they said they would diagnose it... they are saying it is definately a problem in the transmission and giving me the option of having them rebuild it and an unknown labor/parts number or buying a new one from the dealer for $3600 and they would install it for $450.

This is all seperate from whatever they find out about the clutch/flywheel after they take stuff apart.

Am I better off just going to the dealer at this point? Or will they not warranty me due to aftermarket clutch/flywheel and stage1 mod?

What year and model car do you have?

What specifically is going on?

$450 to install the trans is reasonable. Replacing the trans isn't much more involved than changing the clutch.

I don't think I'd pay $3600 for a brand new trans from the dealer, depending how invested you are in the car/how long you want to keep it. Drop a line to FredBeansParts on here and see if they can do a better price on the trans, though it will have to ship from PA.

It's a 05 LGT Wagon. I've had it running stock with the stage1 cobb map - only changed the air filter for a K&N. It had various issues during the 2nd-3rd year and the dealer had to replace the clutch and turbo twice - but it had been fine since.

Then about 7 months ago I had the EXEDY 15804 Clutch and FF502 Flywheel put into the car. I started to hear noise from the flywheel right away but was told that was expected with a light flywheel.

The car has been paid for since 01/08 and I do enjoy it - I would like to just get it running well again - the stage1 mod was fine for me.

I read that if I have Subaru do the work they would put a 2yr warranty on the tranny - just unsure what they will say about the clutch/flywheel/cobb-map. I guess I can flash it back to stock before taking it there - but they will obviously see the clutch/flywheel.

I'll try to contact FredBeansParts on the tranny.

I assume you're out of warranty?

If so, then it wouldn't matter about your other mods.

I've heard great things about the Subaru dealers in Tampa and Orlando - Mastro or something is the name?

Either way, give the dealers a call to see about the warranty. A 2 year warranty would be nice, but think about how much extra that will cost you in the labor. $450 is very fair for a tranny replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if dealer cost was double that.

Archived