LegacyGT.com

JBL MS8 - anyone tried it out?

Chrisbl

• 1 year later...

Yes I did, I have just finished an install on mine...3 way fronts--Focal and Hertz with JL 12W0v4 (originals!!) and Eclipse amps, and this is one amazing box!! I have a bit more tuning left to do, but I will be posting a build log relatively shortly. This is coming from a 3sixty.2 system...I was able to replicate my EXACT tune (to my ears) minus this strange phasing issue I had with my tweeters; basically the MS8 fixed all my issues and created my perfect sound within 10 minutes of me plugging the RCAs into my amps. Stay tuned and ask whatever questions you like!!

MS8!!!:wub:

Stay tuned and ask whatever questions you like!!

MS8!!!:wub:

Hi i do have one question:

im totally new to installing car audio equipment (but capable learner). just where do you put all the amps and processors?

I would like this ms-8 (and amps and subs) in my legacy 05 sedan AND keep my trunk mostly as is (with a sub of course).

I need to use the already limited trunk for strollers and various other things.

I have the OEM kenwood navigator in my glove box in the front and would like to keep the original HU.

Is it possible at all?

please tell me it is.

Well, My trunk has room for strollers! :)

My amp rack is in the spare tire well sitting on top of the spare with 3 amps, and I have the MS-8 under the passenger seat along with an Alpine VHub under the driver seat...there is no shortage of ICE in my car, but it is fairly well hidden. We do have room in these cars, we just need to be creative!:)

lebjob, what you're trying to do is entirely possible, it is all a matter of how much gear you want to add into the installation, but the MS-8 is a great device for OEM integration (so far I think it is the best and I have tried several!!)

I didn't want to get rid of the OEM head, so I worked around it and achieved greatness!:woowoo:

IMG_0619.thumb.jpg.d9b0feb03e312aa9cf1e010602e712c5.jpg

IMG_0621.thumb.jpg.c1cb82bc8d18030f14739667e7e65142.jpg

IMG_0629.thumb.jpg.35fd3e5849e8362a84dc40fbff88b11a.jpg

that is great news!

then I have a couple of more questions:

1) doesn't the amps get too hot for that small space they are tucked into? do you vent it somehow?

2) i was just thinking of adding MAXIMUM of two amps in addition to the ms8. would the ms8 fit on the board with a 4-ch and sub amp? I dont know how big it is but it looks huge on pictures.

3) can you bridge the ms8 onboard amps in some configurations? to use these instead of an external amp. I dont really need megawatts of speaker power.

4) In my last car I had a pioneer p99 and a front system with 4" mid high on the doors and tweeters on top of dashboard area close to the window/pillar and a got fabulous sound and staging wth it's T/A. Do you have your speakers mounted on the legacy stock locations and does the ms8 manage to nail the soundstage with the speakers mounted this much lower than I had before?

thanks

Gooooood Morning!

Just to answer your questions:

1: These amps do not get too hot in this location. My original intent was to place fans in this location and fabricate a box to place the amps in to channel the forced air through the amps.

The EA-4000 and EA-2000 are class AB so these were my primary concern when that idea was at the forefront, but I ran out of space on my amp rack and then I ran out of sunlight! I went for the next week driving 1 sub on the EA-2000 and 2-way active pioneers components on the EA-4000 and the amps were fairly cool after all of that plus loads of stuff in the trunk. I added the XA-1000 the following weekend, which is Class D, therefore, a bit cooler than the other two. In short, I do not expect this setup to overheat. (This has definitely been heatwave tested here in NY!)

2: The MS-8 isn't tiny, but I do think you can fit an MS-8 on a board like this depending on what amps you are using. If they are Zapcos...NOPE! :D I don't have my measurements available because I pretty much chucked the MS-8 under the seat, but I had 0 doubt that the MS-8 would fit under the seat with room to slide.

3: The MS-8 can send amplified signal for each of the 8 output channels. If you are looking for a sound slightly louder than stock, but with much greater fidelity, this is the route you would want to go. I am toying around with the idea of sticking one of these in my father's Jaguar X-Type leaving everything stock just to see how vast that improvement is firsthand, but I have heard about a guy who put this into a stock [Lexus I think] and won a SQ competition using the MS-8 auto tune...impressive!

4: My speakers (Focal Polykevlar comps) are mounted in the stock location plus a Hertz HL-70 midrange mounted in the door approximately where the stock midrange would be on the JDM system. I knew that I would be able to get the soundstage high using this config by testing out T/A on the tweeters and midrange and leaving the miss in mono (Using a 3sixty.2) When I put the MS-8 into the install, my soundstage got higher even while using a higher XO point on the tweeter, and the soundstage is much deeper. This speaker positioning, by the standards of most SQ installers, is doomed, but the MS-8 somehow overcame these bad locations and turned them into good locations.

I did think about A-pillar mounted speakers; I certainly have the right sized speakers to do this, but in the end, I took a chance and chose aesthetics over high soundstage, and I think this install at least broke even.

Truth is, I really haven't had major issues with our stock speaker locations, but there is a strange phenomenon that causes the center image to play dead center AND far right at the same time. You may hear this initially, but after a good tune, it WILL disappear.

Well, My trunk has room for strollers! :)

My amp rack is in the spare tire well sitting on top of the spare with 3 amps, and I have the MS-8 under the passenger seat along with an Alpine VHub under the driver seat...there is no shortage of ICE in my car, but it is fairly well hidden. We do have room in these cars, we just need to be creative!:)

lebjob, what you're trying to do is entirely possible, it is all a matter of how much gear you want to add into the installation, but the MS-8 is a great device for OEM integration (so far I think it is the best and I have tried several!!)

I didn't want to get rid of the OEM head, so I worked around it and achieved greatness!:woowoo:

can you post pics of your doors???

x2 on door pics if you have them. I'm trying to figure out if I can fit a set of Mypre 65m woofers in the factory front door locations. They're 7" speakers and 3.5" deep.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived