LegacyGT.com

Hood Scoop removal?

Not sure if anyone knows, but How would I go about removing my 06 hood scoop? Would like to paint it... Looks like there are the pop-it type screws, but I don't want to just yank on it and hope it comes out.

None of the threads that came up in search were relevant or had any useful info....

I find it really, REALLY hard to believe that NO one has ever replaced, traded out, or otherwise taken out their scoop............... I've seen LGTs with traded scoops. come on!

Granted it was a totally different style, but the scoop on my old FXT just had 6-8 plastic screws to take out, then the scoop just came off. The LGT can't be that much different.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did it today on my '06 Legacy GT.

There's a fabric/composite liner that's attached to the under part of the entire hood. If you look all around, it's held up by round plastic pieces in about 10 or more different spots. Starting at one side, start removing those plastic pieces by getting a flat head screw driver underneath them. Wiggle it out, or pry it out. If you try and screw it out, it'll do nothing.

Once you get enough of them out (I left the bottom ones still in), you'll see 4 nuts and bolts sticking out from the hood. Remove those 4 nuts, and then the hood scoop will come off. Removing the hood scoop was easiest when pushing up on the bolts, and then pulling the hood scoop to the front of the car.

Hope this helps!

Awesome, thanks! I haven't had time to tinker around with it, and havent decided whether I want to paint it anyway, so not sure if i'll be removing it now. Still, good to know

Archived