LegacyGT.com

Coilover spring rates question

WompaStompa

I've been shopping around for coilovers for my 08 legacy and keep running into dead ends with the spring rates.:confused: Some say default rates are 8/6, 8 in front and 6 in rear. However I have also seen defaults of 8/8, 6/8, and others. Seems like for other Subaru models, a higher spring rate in front and lower in back is ideal. I have also found out that the stock spring rates of the legacy's is about 3.5/5.5. (lower in front). Anyone else have any idea why the legacy's are different? Or any recommendations on spring rates?

It depends on the manufacturer and the model. And even the same model can have optional spring rates. ISC's can be had with (I think) 8k/6k or 10k/8k. Flex's are 10k/8k I think while BC's might be 8k/7k or 8/8. The Legacy just doesn't have the market that the WRX/STi does so we get more generic all-around choices while popular models get much more varied options because there's a market for it. And as far as what's a good rate, it depends on what you want to do. For DD and occasional auto-x or road race use, something in the 6k/8k to 8k/8k range is fine. If you do more hardcore use, stepping up to a 10K/8K might be a smart idea. Just be sure you know the compromises with higher spring rates.;)

Archived