LegacyGT.com

A/C Fluctuates Between Warm and Cold

something leads me to believe the compressors on these cars are defective. i had hooked up the CoolTech, recovery AC service machine to it at school. surprisingly the amount of refrigerant i had recovered was much less than what the OEM specified on these cars. i had recharged the system to oem spec and sent it on its way. this was in march however when theAC wasnt being used. currently my cars sitting without an engine in it. I am noticing however on the bottom side of the compressor some green residue build up on it. which im thinking might be refrigerant and the UV dye i mixed in with it. it seems to be eminating from the seam where the snout and the compressor meet. just a thought im thinking they all leak refrigerant. Id like to hook up my manifold gauge to it but i cant until im done putting the motor back in it.

my .02

I took ownership of my Mom's 2007 Legacy this February after her death. I've owned a 1987 BMW 325 since 1989. Since I have been driving the Legacy this summer I noticed that the AC did not seem to cool the car as nicely as the old Beemer. The Legacy only has 18,000 miles on it. It exhibits the same tendency as the other posts on this topic. I don't drive long distances, but the AC system is a real dissappointment. I'm still considering trading both cars in for something else, unless all newer cars function the same way.

I have an '08 that's going in on Wed for the same thing. I've never had a complaint with the AC until about 2 weeks ago. As others have mentioned, I get 5 or so seconds of warm air followed by cold air. It's rather annoying on hot days.

According to my thermometer, the air coming out of the vents is between 55 and 60 degrees with it set on 65 and recirc. I never use the auto setting as I think it's worthless. The dealer says that it should be colder than that so they're going to check it.

I will post their findings as well..

I just got the car back and they said that the system is functioning normally. Apparently they have been getting a lot of similar complaints the last two weeks according to my service guy. According to their thermometer, the air coming out is 54 degrees (perhaps my thermometer isn't accurate?).

Regardless, there is nothing that they can do for me. My AC in my SVX was MUCH colder, but it's on the fritz now as well. I guess it's better to have a slightly warm AC than none at all.

Hey, I just recently bought a 2005 Legacy GT with auto climate control and ive noticed that when I'm just driving around with the a/c on it will fluctuate every 10 or 15 seconds to a little warmer temperature and then get colder again and continue doing this. Then at a stop it will get warmer again. I've tried it on auto and just on the manual control and it still does it.

There are 2 major issues with our AC systems. One is the annoying auto climate control program, I've found it to be much more comfortable to run it in mostly-manual mode. The other is that the compressor cycles off fairly often, especially during acceleration.

In hot-humid Texas, I run it in Recirculate mode during daylight hours in the summer, with the temperature set lower than the system is capable of reaching... usually the min (65.) This yields tolerable results except on long drives, when the system will occasionally freeze up after a couple of hours of continuous full-cold operation.

Ok so I got my car back and the dealer said they fixed the A/C and so I just took off with it all excited only to find out it still does it for about 5 seconds then gets cold again. So I'll have to ask them exactly what they fixed since it seems the same lol.

Ok so I got my car back and the dealer said they fixed the A/C and so I just took off with it all excited only to find out it still does it for about 5 seconds then gets cold again. So I'll have to ask them exactly what they fixed since it seems the same lol.

So how do you have the climate control set when it's doing this? Recirculate or not? What temperature is set? You shouldn't have the humidity problems in SLC that we do here, so I'd expect the AC to be fairly effective.

So how do you have the climate control set when it's doing this? Recirculate or not? What temperature is set? You shouldn't have the humidity problems in SLC that we do here, so I'd expect the AC to be fairly effective.

I don't use the auto but even with the auto on it still blows the warm air for about 5 seconds at about 20-30 second intervals at a time. I notice it when the temperature is set below 70 or so. outside temperatures are in the 90's.

I don't use the auto but even with the auto on it still blows the warm air for about 5 seconds at about 20-30 second intervals at a time. I notice it when the temperature is set below 70 or so. outside temperatures are in the 90's.

Auto on = worst behavior (in my car anyway) so it's good that you're not using it that way.

Hmmm... you may have some unique issue, because on recirculate I only notice those bursts of warm air when the interior temp is at the set point and the dumb computer instead of mixing just alternates between warm and cold.

Do you still have the periodic warm air if you set the temp at 65 (minimum setting)?

Auto on = worst behavior (in my car anyway) so it's good that you're not using it that way.

Hmmm... you may have some unique issue, because on recirculate I only notice those bursts of warm air when the interior temp is at the set point and the dumb computer instead of mixing just alternates between warm and cold.

Do you still have the periodic warm air if you set the temp at 65 (minimum setting)?

Yea I get the warm air on recirculate and fresh air and I can feel it between the 65 and 75 or so temp settings cause any warmer its just the same air coming out basically.

i have a 05 subaru 2.5i with manual AC and i noticed the same thing

A/C is blowing warm-cold air for 15 seconds and cold-cold air for another 15s

i opened the hood and heard the "da" sound every 30 seconds

it seems compressor is on and off

i am going to take the car to my frz workshop and check the pressure reading tml

**scratches head** It's odd many people have this problem, but some of us don't. As I said earlier I don't have this problem. The way I keep my AC set is manual mode, 65 degrees for both sides, air split between feet and chest and AC on recirculate if it's super hot and I just started the car, or I'll draw outside air once the cabin has reached a more comfortable temperature.

• 1 month later...
After reading through this thread, I guess I won't take my 05 legacy gt into the shop to have the ac looked at! My car also cycles from warm to cold like others have described. I too have found it works best when I turn the auto mode off and keep it on recirculate. I also think it's odd that the compressor disengages when I accelerate. On other vehicles that I have, if the ac is not blowing cold enough, reving the engine or accelerating will cause the compressor to spin faster and the ac to blow colder. I've noticed just the opposite on my Legacy.:rolleyes:

After reading through this thread, I guess I won't take my 05 legacy gt into the shop to have the ac looked at! My car also cycles from warm to cold like others have described. I too have found it works best when I turn the auto mode off and keep it on recirculate. I also think it's odd that the compressor disengages when I accelerate. On other vehicles that I have, if the ac is not blowing cold enough, reving the engine or accelerating will cause the compressor to spin faster and the ac to blow colder. I've noticed just the opposite on my Legacy.:rolleyes:

AC shuts off at a given engine RPM, throttle opening percentage, or combination of the two (on a speed density system anyways, MAF based could use different variables). I remember back when I was tuning my previous car and I changed the AC shutoff point and set it lower, and then found I couldn't drive the speed I wanted on the highway and still have AC, I had to change it back once I got home, lol.:lol:

Archived