LegacyGT.com

Subaru marketing

DrCloud

Somehow I got selected by an advertising company, or maybe a polling outfit working for one, to watch a Subaru ad and comment on it. The request came by email from "Russell Research," so if you get one, here's what happens:

You watch a short spot (no up-front information given) twice, they ask questions, you watch it again, they ask more questions -- lots more. The thing goes on and on. Some of the questions are to see how bright you are, some are to see if the message in the ad sank in, some are demographic questions. You can't skip any of them, although some have "I'd prefer not to answer" options.

The ad is a new spot for the Subaru Forester, and it's way far into the warm-and-fuzzy mode. There are only a couple of very quick shots of the car itself, and the rest is a soccer mom carting a bunch of kids around. I guess this could have been predicted based on the trend of Subaru ads for the past several years, but it's definitely far, far away from the spots that talk about the capabilities of the vehicles.

We can only hope, I guess, that they're just trying to sell more cars, not dumb them down for the audience that spots like this are supposed to appeal to. HPH

Archived