LegacyGT.com

Best product to minimize bad dash scratches? interior trim near windows fading?

So I've read many of the other threads and can't seem to find the right fit for my issues.

I just bought an 07 i Limited and the black interior is pretty clean except for the dash and some of the trim (Lesson 1: wait for a sunny day in Oregon to get a good look, if you can wait that long).

There are several deep scratches that I know I am going to have to get over eventually, but I'm not there yet. I tried armorall initially and it made the entire dash glisten like...well...I imagine the gulf coast (sorry).

Then I tried Meguiars quik interior detailer while cleaning the rest of the car and it cleaned it off without the shine but made the scratches more visible. Asked the Meguiars people and they recommend Natural Shine, so I buy the wipes and do a quick thin coat and wipe it off...no difference. I do a thicker coat and leave it for a few minutes and wipe it off...nothing still. Looks the same as it did with the quick detailer.

About this time the sun comes out and I notice the black trim near the windows is...faded? its almost like it's fading in the textured cracks. Odd. repeat the two above methods with Natural shine...no effect. About this time I begin to wonder if the interior is going to hold up at all, although the seats look like new.

A couple of points: The dash is made of the same material as that door panel's upper trim, right?

Will I see enough of a difference between using the meguiar's spray vs the wipes to justify buying the same product again?

OR, Should I just step up to 303 for the trim and lexol for the seats and be more careful than the previous owner?

NOTE: to someone that may be searching the forums for a similar issue: do not use a Mr. clean magic eraser to try and smudge out the scratch out of desperation unless you want an additional matte spot on the dash (I stopped fairly early thank god).

This forum is my last ray of hope ;)

Thanks.

There are several deep scratches that I know I am going to have to get over eventually,

This.

You bought a Used Car. What did you expect? If you want perfect, you have to buy new. And even then you will have imperfections.

The other option is to replace the panels/pieces that you are unhappy with. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Of course, a picture is worth 1000 words, so some of us MIGHT be able to better help if you show us what we're dealing with. :)

• 1 month later...

yeah, i have similar issues...not the scratches, but looking for something that will 'restore' the darker color of the dash

anyone have any product ideas???

sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes...well, he eats you

Archived