LegacyGT.com

Air compressor on '96 Legacy wagon not turning

My A/C no longer blows cool air and the compressor doesn't ever seem to engage so I'm assuming the compressor itself is shot. The car has about 102,000 miles on it. Should I pay to take it somewhere for A/C service first to see if it's a simple fix or has the compressor given up the ghost? I also checked the related fuses in case those were blown for some reason. The fuses are fine so I'm still inclined to think it needs a new comp. If that is the case can I get by with a used or cheaper remanufactured comp versus the $500 + most places seem to want for a new one? Finally, is this something that can be done streetside with a Haynes manual and basic tools? I've already found out that the cheapo freon recharging units they sell at Pep Boys apparently don't fit the Subaru fitting.

The compressor has a safety switch that will only engage if there is freon (and PAG oil) in the system. Check the system pressure at the low side. It may not have enough juice to trigger the compressors safety switch. And what do you mean the freon cans don't fit? You are using a R134 system, right? On the low side fitting?

The freon recharge can (w/ dispenser gauge), that I bought won't fit over the low side (blue cap - closer to front of car?). It seems like it will almost fit but is a hair too small. They use that quick disconnect-type fitting on the dispenser for the can but it won't go over the fitting on the car, without maybe forcing it and potentially damaging it. I'm going to take it back to Pep Boys tomorrow and see if they have some other type of recharging set up with different sizes of connectors. The other A/C fitting I'm assuming is the high side (closer to the firewall), and it has no cap and the fitting for the dispenser wobbles on it so it's clearly a much smaller fitting than the high side one with blue cap. Well, it's at least a good thing to know that the compressor might not be shot after all but I guess I won't know until I can get some freon into the system.

It seems that my car is an early 1996 and thus must have a different fitting on the A/C low side versus later '96 models. All the other A/C charging kits I looked at had the exact same fitting as the one I'd bought, so none of them would fit either. Looks like I'll be taking it to the shop to get it serviced. Apparently, it might also not be using r134 but might be using r112 according to the guy at Pep Boys. Don't know whether to believe him or not, but one thing is clear and that is the fittings on these diy recharge kits won't fit my car.

Archived