LegacyGT.com

Trade the LGT for a G8

I'd love to have a G8 as well. Something I like about badazz 4-door sedans. Get one so I can drive it. ;)

One guy local to us slapped twin turbos on his G8 GT and I think he's running low 11s on street tires. :eek:

For what you're looking for, this may be a good option for you. Take one out for a good test drive, see if they'll let you borrow it for a day, etc and go from there. I doubt you'll find a GXP, much less one you're willing to pay close to $40k for, but the GTs are plentiful.

edit; I don't think you'd have much trouble with the RWD in Lincoln in the winter being that is it so flat compared to Omaha. That's the only reason I would not consider one as a daily for me.

I doubt you'll find a GXP, much less one you're willing to pay close to $40k for, but the GTs are plentiful

I might just have to "settle" for the lowly GT. I'll have to do more research to see what differs besides the motor.

I might just have to "settle" for the lowly GT. I'll have to do more research to see what differs besides the motor.

I do know that the GXP offers the manual transmission which is not available on the GT.

Traded our '05 LGT on an '09 G8GT almost exactly one year ago. The LGT was more nimble on a twisty road (Tokico's, iON springs, Cobb sways) but there isn't anything else the G8 doesn't do better. Actually, I think stock to stock, the G8 probably would handle as well as an LGT, and you can do all the suspension stuff to the G8 if you want to. It's much bigger inside, especially the back seat and trunk. It gets just as good mileage as the LGT did, and is far more relaxed going down the road.

To me, the G8 is more fun to drive, because of the torque. Our LGT was quick (stage 2), but you had to drive it like a total tool to get results my mom could get at the dragstrip with the G8. I've done a CAI and tune, and probably won't go any further, as I'd like to sell/trade in a couple years and get a used C6 Z06, so I don't want to waste a lot of money on mods.

My only complaints are the somewhat plasticky interior, and the lack of Nav.

I liked our LGT a lot, but I like the G8 a lot more... If you like torque, you'll like the G8... ;)

BTW, the values seem to be holding in the mid $20k range for these, but you can find deals. We bought ours w/ 10k miles a year ago for $21k.

Almost 1k a month to drive a Cobalt??? You could have gotten a lease transfer from someone for a year and drive a MUCH MUCH MUCH better car....

OUCH!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Yeah I know but I wasn't expecting to get rid of it in a year. Bad decision on my part but live and learn.

Hate to burst your bubble but the g8 is manufactured in Austalia where Holden is, and it is just badged Pontaic. (or WAS badged.)

Yes but the Pontiac badge makes it a domestic therefor the resale is going to be very very bad so if you plan to keep the car for 10+ years, its a great buy but if there is a chance your going to sell it in 2-3 years and aren't rich it's something you need to consider. ;)

Yes but the Pontiac badge makes it a domestic therefor the resale is going to be very very bad so if you plan to keep the car for 10+ years, its a great buy but if there is a chance your going to sell it in 2-3 years and aren't rich it's something you need to consider. ;)

I would argue (and possibly be wrong) that the G8 GT, and even more so the GXP, will retain their value "well" versus any domestic car, and possibly better than some jap cars. Purely a guess, but seeing as these cars were only in production a few years (1 for the GXP), they're a very limited run car, which helps hold value. Now, does that mean they'll be worth 15k in 10 years, not a chance, but I'm thinking they're going to lose less value per year than a Honda or Toyota. Again, this is all assumption though.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I would argue (and possibly be wrong) that the G8 GT, and even more so the GXP, will retain their value "well" versus any domestic car, and possibly better than some jap cars. Purely a guess, but seeing as these cars were only in production a few years (1 for the GXP), they're a very limited run car, which helps hold value. Now, does that mean they'll be worth 15k in 10 years, not a chance, but I'm thinking they're going to lose less value per year than a Honda or Toyota. Again, this is all assumption though.

You could be very correct but I just think it will be like any other domestic out there. I am not even a domestic hater as all my cars but like 3 or 4 have been domestic but from my experience with the Cobalt, I saw face to face what its like to have a car with a bad resale.

The Legacy was just as bad as any "domestic" car for depreciation...

I agree with executor that the G8 (at least the GT and GXP models) will retain their value better than most because of both the uniqueness (name a similar car that isn't at least 2x the price), and the 'last of the breed' factor.

The civvie version is DOA, but they are doing a police car, which I believe is still going to be called a "Caprice" to capitalize on the popularity of the last 94-96 Caprices.

The civvie version is DOA, but they are doing a police car, which I believe is still going to be called a "Caprice" to capitalize on the popularity of the last 94-96 Caprices.

The b@$tards... There just isnt the availability for a good 4 door V8 muscle sedan for a decent price. Lacking market item... lol

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

So the GT has the Vortec 6000 L76, not the LS series, that's just the GXP.

Yes the GT does not have a ls series engine, but the l76 is a good engine. Alot of people switch to iron blocks like the lq9 when its time to build/swap out the ls series engine. There even cheaper than the ls series engines and can usually be bored and stroked more extreme and hold more power because they are iron blocks. But anything under 800whp and the ls series engine should hold that just fine, personally I would rather keep the light weight aluminium block unless i was building a turbo 1000hp beast.

Archived