LegacyGT.com

Basic 5EAT operation info request

Deadleave

Very very newbie question, please be gentle. RE: 05 5EAT

As I understand it 5EAT operated in 3 basic modes.

1. Auto

2. Auto Sport

3. Manual Mode

Are the modes interchangeable while moving ? Or do you have to come to a stop between changing modes.

In Manual mode, is there any safe guards built in ? I know some cars in manual mode will up shift near red-line or down shift before stall if the user fails to. Okay so 05 wont shift at all, except to prevent stall.

In the first two modes, is the logic just set RPM shift points, or do 5EAT operate on more parameters, and adjust to given driving condition.

thanks guys

Yes you can switch on the fly. In fully automatic you can up or down shift with the paddles (you have them, yes?). If you use them to downshift (engine braking down hill or helping to back up the pi** poor brakes on the OB), then it will remain in that gear until you add throttle.

In Sport mode it will have higher shift points and it will even downshift some (I said "some", don't get too excited) as you slow down. It will definitely downshift sooner if you accelerate - in regular automatic it gets in 5th gear as soon as possible and likes to stay there.

You will definitely have more fun around town in sport mode. Expect your MPG to tank. Just saying.

Slap the shifter back and forth and the "sport" light goes out. You are in straight manual - cough. Expect a delay after you up shift. Use a little Kentucky windage and you can get predictable up shifts out of it.

As you apparently already discovered the '05 will do nothing to CYA should you forget about who is in charge.

Oh, and watch the little arrows next to the gear number on the speedo when the sport light is out It will show up, down or both to indicate that these gears are available.

I find the 3-2 downshift a little jerky unless I'm down near 25 or so mph. YMMV.

On the freeway I use straight automatic. If I need to pass someone (or have some other thin excuse to spool the turbo) I will paddle shift down into 4 or even 3 and then roll it on. When I'm done smiling it's already back to business as usual.

Archived