LegacyGT.com

aftermarket TMIC worth if for now?

My car is getting a few goodies put on here in a little bit. Ditching my spt intake for a cobb one....getting a dn-pipe up-pipe gt spec uel headers and a pro tune.....im keeping the stock turbo for now. Now I dont have a whole lot of knowledge about inter coolers(just the basic stuff). Will and aftermarket tmic benefit me more with all the said mods and the tune on the car or will it make no difference be it that i still have the stock turbo

I upgraded to an AVO intercooler and it definitely helped . Since you are getting a protune and it is needed to maximize the intercooler you are good to go. They are expensive but can often be had for around $ 500 used. I've heard of Perrins new can go for 500-600. Can't prove it dynowise but the butt dyno showed a likely 5-8 hp difference and a deeper well or torque. Also really helped lower heat soak on those hot days. Very worth it IMO

OEM TMIC doesn't have reliable integrity at higher-than-stock boost, so with pipes and tune, an aftermarket intercooler will potentially help reliability at your increased boost, too.

I doubt you'll see any significant increase in power over the stocker, but FWIW I blew my stocker apart within a day of running 18psi at stage two. As a minimum, I recommend JB welding your end tanks before running stage II boost levels.

Archived