LegacyGT.com

A/C groan and roaring noise in 85F + at low speed or idle

Howdy all, just a quick question to see if anyone else is experiencing this (have found one NTHSB complaint of same, but nothing else). Starting at 6500k in my 2010 LGT I started to get a low rumble, oscillating groan from what seemed to be 2nd aux fan, after it got warmer here in Tennessee (85F +) and the car had 7500k it is now loud enough to make drinks rattle in the cup holders and passengers to complain (like turn up the radio to drown it out). If car is at speed and RPMs are above 2500k it is not so noticeable, but still felt in the seat.

Car has now been at my local dealership for nearly two weeks. They have replaced both aux fans, and checked with tech line @ SOA about compressor problems. I threw gauges on it myself, as have they, and its within spec, both at idle and when compressor kicks on it pulls the appropriate 30 pounds off or there abouts. Currently they have no "solution" and are talking to SOA... tried to suggest it might "just be normal for this car" since they all do it a little bit. But they admitted it is getting steadily louder as the miles rack up. With mine now sitting at 8k, its absurd to think what it will sound like by 10 - 15.

Suggestions? Another tech I work with thought it was ridiculously loud inside the cabin and thinks there is a failing ballancer that is resonating because of how the aux fans are mounted (in which case there may be no solution for a while). With temps in the upper 90s here I'd like to have my $30k with air conditioning back .....

The only thing I can say is, mine will kick the radiator fan on when it's hot, the ac is on, and I come to a stop. It also is a very load hum / rumble. Then as soon as I take off again, it will shut off. Maybe that is what you're hearing / feeling.

Archived