LegacyGT.com

Move Post Counts only to Memberlist

What should we do with post counts?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with post counts?

• Make post counts only viewable in the memberlist
    • Leave everything the way it is
    • Other (please specify if you choose this option)
    • Leave counts in place, but only count posts in technical forums

What's worse? The PWing or that fact that we are making efforts to deter the PWing? The post count has to go. You know my opinion, all it does is create a hierarchy amongst the group. Every member is valuable regardless of thier post count.

I dont think his posts are any less qualitywise than my own, just more frequent. I think you area all just jealous of his bobblehead. :P :P SUBE, change this to a poll and see if people want post cound removed. IMHO, I like a post count. NASIOC just feels wierd to me.

On teh nose Tide. Sometimes I have so much fun that no one notices my good posts (yes there are plenty)! :lol: For some reason, you all seem to want believe that I am doing this all for post count. Not so. Even if you take them away, I'd still post, and frequently. You [i]will[/i] adhere to the bobblehead! All this drama just make me stop posting. Geez. :lol:

What they did over at NASIOC (and still might be doing so) to prevent whoring, and it really is an effective solution, is to make only posts in the technical forums count toward a member's post count/upgrade status. The suggestion that the one-line, "me, too" posts not count is also a good one. Post counts are, in effect, meaningless. It is the ultimate quality of one's posts, and their value to a board's membership that should matter most. There are people with high post counts who contribute precious little, and people with low post counts who contribute much. Control Freak is a good example of the latter, particularly his posts on drive by wire, etc. Another solution might be to remove the post count-based designations, so that everybody is simply a member. Hierarchies create competition. I am a "Scooby Guru" over at NASIOC, which is a meaningless designation, IMHO, but not quite as ineffectual (though admittedly humorous) as "Monkey." Ah, the things I would do if I were a moderator... Kevin

[quote name='Drift Monkey']On teh nose Tide. Sometimes I have so much fun that no one notices my good posts (yes there are plenty)! :lol: For some reason, you all seem to want believe that I am doing this all for post count. Not so. Even if you take them away, I'd still post, and frequently. You [i]will[/i] adhere to the bobblehead! All this drama just make me stop posting. Geez. :lol:[/quote] There really isn't any drama at all. If you think that I am going to care the least bit about a message board, then you definitely don't know me very well. ;) It's simply the fact that you have, on several occasions, said that you will overtake sube in post count and posted milestones about how many posts you have. That's why I believe what I do.. that's all. Hence, I digress about bitching about the post count and so on... it's not a big deal at all. Oh, and Tide you can post whatever you want.. it's your board :lol: Speaking of bobblehead, where did you find that? or did you make it yourself?

Yet again, a joke (drama). Quit doing that Zevil! :lol: LOL, I used to mess with Seth about post avg per day ratings, not total posts. You mentioned that I mentioned my post count number SEVERAL times, I can really think of one recent occasion when I stated it, and that was merely because you guys egged me on. :lol: Seriously, really could care less about my own post count and title, they're just labels anyway, and I don't judge n00bs according to post count/rank. Taking them away to deter me is just silly. :P You guys keep talking about competition, but there is none! I already won a long time ago and it wasn't even my intentions! :lol: Oh and I forgot where I found my avatar, but I didn't make it. It does however, rule.

I love that avatar. Sorry about taking everything that you say literally, it's so hard to judge tone in written text. Let's just leave the post count subject in the weeds where it belongs i guess. Maybe I am jealous because I secretly want to win the post whoring competition ;):D:lol:

[quote name='brady_bunch']Wow... do we have that few number of folks that vote? 14 votes out of 500 registered users? That's less than 3%. :([/quote] Tell me about it, there's a general apathy towards polls but this one indicates things will be staying the same.

Archived