LegacyGT.com

Invidia downpipe versions - ways to identify

There are two sounds that I notice that weren't there before. One is a tapping sound almost like you would hear when you have bad valves on an old car. The other is a rumble that I not only hear but I also feel at WOT in 5th at around 3300 RPM . Which I think is when I'm hitting full boost. The first sound I think is just the wastegate flutter but could the second be the wastegate hitting the divorce in the downpipe?

When i had mine on before i grinded the divider it wasn't making any noise, just holding the wastegate shut and caused a lot of overboosting. Grinding the divider is easy enough if you think that could be it, even if you don't have access to the tools you could just rent a 3" grinder at home depot and buy a wheel for it.

When i was taking mine off for the grind, i bent the top bolt towards the middle of the car, had to cut it off. ended up using a bolt off the stock muffler to replace it :D turns out its the same width just not length, its a little shorter but just enough to do the job.

Nicely done Dntk.

I think I'm looking in a different direction now. Because you said you didn't have any noise when the divorce flange was interfering with your wastegate and you were overboosting, I think my noises are something else. And I'm surely not overboosting - it rarely goes over 18PSI.

I think the one noise I'm hearing is just wastegate flutter, no big deal.

The other noise when I'm WOT in 5th around 3300RPM seems to be coming from below the car. I'm wondering if the exhaust gasses are escaping at the join where the 3" downpipe meets my 2" exhaust. The guy who installed my downpipe didn't use the adapter piece I gave him. Could it be escaping and then the springs re-seal it when the pressure drops off? Or maybe it's just turbulence at the join that's making the noise?

He didn't use the adapter piece? i'm not even sure the bolts would line up right from the Invidia to stock, or the gasket. You might want to get underneath there and take a look at that. If he didn't use the adapter and didn't use the gasket that could potentially make some noise down there.

The clicking could be the wastegate hitting the "divorcer" in the downpipe. I have read issues where people would hear it and in some cases even get a CEL. We ground mine down before we installed it to prevent any problems later on.

You definitely need a step-down adapter installed. My Invidia downpipe is mounted to a 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust. I needed to use a step-down adapter to make sure everything fit properly.

Archived