LegacyGT.com

6 Disk CD Changer problem...please advise!

violhence

Hi everyone,

I drive a 2007 Legacy Limited 2.5i (non-turbo). It comes with the 6 disk cd changer standard. A few days ago, I was putting in some CDs and when I got to number 5 the CD got stuck inside. I tried to reach in and pull it out but nothing worked. The cd changer turned about halfway so the enterance is blocked. You can't put anything in or out. I held the eject button and tried "RELEASE ALL CDS" but nothing came out and now the screen is showing as if only 1 CD is there and nothing will come out. You press eject and it just switches over to radio.

That brings me to my questions.

1) Is there a way to fix this?

2) If not, how much does one of those CD Changer's cost?

3) If it has to be replaced, do I have to go factory or can I just get a regular CD player cheap somewhere from an audio store?

I called one of the local audio stores here in my area, and the guy told me the following:

"These cd changes have inside them a little cylinder which makes them work properly. Once a CD gets stuck inside there, that cylinder usually breaks, and sometimes one of the CDs gets crushed. Once that cylinder is broken, you will never get that cd changer to work again like it used to. That is why repairing these is not worth it. I advise a replacement."

What do you guys think?

When I installed my Jazzy mod a long long time ago, I was an idiot and didn't think to eject the cds before removing it from my car. When turning it upside down a CD got stuck and the unit wouldn't fully power up. I was able to push the disc back into place with a narrow flat tip screwdriver.

It was years ago so I can't remember any more specifics. I had the radio apart exactly enough to do the jazzy mod so that may be only 1 side needed to be taken off.

So in short, you will probably have to pull the radio out of the dash and at least take the panel off. There are several guides on here on how to do it.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

• 11 months later...

I´ve read similar stories on the Swedish Subaru forums, and unfortunately, they had to replace the whole unit.

Can you guys buy working parts of a wrecked car? It´s possible here in Sweden.

You also have a guide you can use to replace the stereo here :rolleyes:

Archived