LegacyGT.com

Potentially stupid question about clutch engagement point

Ulf Wafflestein

I've got somewhere around 80k on my '05 LGT and I've had a new clutch in for about 15,000 of those miles. Its an Exedy clutch, the stage 1, and lately I've been noticing that I have to press the clutch pedal almost all the way to the floor for it to engage.

I was told by AndrewTech last time I took it in for service that they would look at it and do anything they could but if its something besides an adjustment it would be major money.

My question is: Does this sound normal at all? Can I make any further adjustments myself or is this something that requires service?

I believe there is a threaded pushrod under the dash for the clutch pedal. I screwed around with the one on my Toyota pickup because it caught too high for my tastes.

Its not meant for adjustment but some here have done this with good results.

The clutch pedal adjustment modifies the stroke of the master cylinder piston through its travel. It isn't intended to change the engagement point - if it does, it's a side effect of changing the hydraulic pressure operating the slave cylinder. If the engagement point is "shortened," it is possible that the clutch is always operating slightly disengaged. That will lead to premature wear of the disc and possibly the TOB.

Archived