LegacyGT.com

Various concerns w/ 6mt

bakabakablah

Okay, so after a quick search I couldn't really find any information pertinent to the problems that I have been experiencing... forgive me if I've missed a thread that already discusses this stuff.

Over the past 2000 miles or so, my transmission (6mt) has been sounding and feeling increasingly sick:

-Deceleration whine (which I've gathered is common on 1st and 2nd gear) is now rather pronounced on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears.

-Third gear will occasionally grind on the 2-3 shift, which always happens when I'm not shifting hard at all; sometimes it will do this if I pause for a second to let the revs drop a little before moving it into the gate.

-Just recently (within the last 200 mi) I was essentially locked out of 1st gear from a dead stop for a few seconds before I was able to get the shifter into the gate. Again, like the 3rd gear grind, this problem does not present itself consistently.

-Similar to the first gear lockout problem, within the last 1000mi I have had situations when from a dead stop in neutral, when I would shift to first to start moving I would hear a muted thump noise coming from the front of the car towards the bottom (where the transmission would be if I had to take a guess). I have only experienced this in one other car (a 5mt IS300) so I have no idea if this is truly a problem or just the typical Subaru quirkyness. This is NOT the 1-2 thump that comes from the rear diff that has been discussed before as this noise only presents when I'm at a dead stop, have the clutch depressed, had moved the shifter to 1st gear, and had not applied any throttle whatsoever.

There were a couple of other things that I wanted to add but I can't seem to remember what they were right now... I'll add on once I remember what they were. However, my question for these "issues" is, is it normal? I have been thinking about changing out the transmission and rear diff fluid for the Extra-S either this week or next but should I just try it to see if it takes care of the problems or should I just take it in to the stealership and see what they say about it (I have the 6year/100k mile warranty)?

CN: -Deceleration whine from transmission from the typical 1st and 2nd gears, but also 3rd gear.

-Occasional 3rd gear grind when driving normally, even after slowing down the shifts

-Very recently started to experience first gear lockout where the shifter would not be able to be moved into 1st gear gate from a dead stop.

-Single muted thump from transmission(?) while at a dead stop, shifter moved into first, before any throttle.

Should I change out trans/diff fluid for Extra-S and see these problems go away or should I just take it into the stealership?

Archived