LegacyGT.com

Pioneer AVIC-N1 DVD/MP3/GPS Unit.

I tried taking one of the pins from the speaker wires yesterday. The pin did not want to budge out of the harness without me trying to destroy the harness. If I can't find the pin or very tiny wire terminals from Radio Shack, then I may have to buy a male harness (any male harness), take it apart, take the pins out, and use it as the #1 wire.

Does anyone know where I can buy a pin (or a harness maker kit)???

Ok, Radio Shack had some interesting parts to make the missing #1 wire. Part# 274-222 (2 position interlocking connector) should be it. There are 2 tiny female wire terminals. I'm going to attempt to fabricate a dim switch wire using this little terminal over the weekend.

• 3 months later...
I had 30 of those brand new in the box, Sold them all for $800 each! They were gone in one day. Good unit. Let you guys know when i get more.

Yes please let us know when you get more. Id be interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT HVAC ILLUMINATION USING THE REVERSE HARNESS:

When installing the reverse harness into the stock unit, you will notice that you are missing the #1 wire. There are 14 pins, but only 13 wires to the harness. That is because this harness is for a 1993-2001 Impreza, and you really didn't care if you needed this wire or not. Here is the problem on 2005 Legacy. In order for the HVAC illumination to work correctly at night, you must use #1 (which does not exist) and #7 (orange on the reverse harness) wire. #7 is called the illumination wire, and typically most aftermarket stereos use this wire. The #1 wire seems to be coming from the dimmer switch.

So, what happens if you only connect #7 wire? You have no illumination to stock radio or HVAC switches and knobs. However, the LCD panel dims when you turn you headlights on. #7 wire feeds 12volt power into the system to dim the LCD panel. #1 wire corrects the dimming problem by feeding variable electrical power setting controlled by the dimmer switch.

Therefore, you need to fabricate your own wiring into the reverse harness. To me, it's not a big deal if I have illumination or not. But, it's nice to have. Maybe Radio Shack got it. After I install it, I'll post another thread.

It's kind of an old post, but i was able to solve this by removing the blue wire pin (power antenna) and inserting into the #1 slot.

Archived