LegacyGT.com

what do you guys think?

edmunds.com says my car is worth 16K as trade-in and kbb says 15.7K. The sales manager is offering 1K over invoice for a GT Ltd and 14K for the trade. What do you guys think? edit: I changed some numbers just in case the dealership is also reading this forum. :P

This Space For Rent

I say don't negotiate your trade-in as part of the deal. Read this: [url]http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/page001.html[/url] Sound to me like he is making an extra grand off your car, plus the grand on the car itsself. If you go with that deal, negotiate some extras: accessories, service, whatever.

plus those advertisement, handling, operation, etc. fees! [quote name='Sub-attraction']I wouldn't pay 1000 over invoice. Don't feel sorry for dealers. They are ALSO getting 3% of msrp as holdback.[/quote]

This Space For Rent

Guest *Jedimaster*
Try to get them to give you a bit more. Also, if you do trade it, remember that a slight loss in the trade in money is OK- they are going to sell you the car for the price minus your trade, which saves you on the tax- if you can make the numbers work right, you come out ahead of the game.

[quote name='jedimaster']Try to get them to give you a bit more. Also, if you do trade it, remember that a slight loss in the trade in money is OK- they are going to sell you the car for the price minus your trade, which saves you on the tax- if you can make the numbers work right, you come out ahead of the game.[/quote] Thats interesting....I never knew trade ins could work like that.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

If you're financing, you may want to get as much as you can for the trade. Dealing with the salesman can work to your advantage, because if you can get him to unconditionally agree to certain terms, the manager will have a much harder time dealing with you...I got a guy to promise me the car well under invoice! silly newbie was only working there for 2mos

Guest *Jedimaster*
^^That sounds like a good way to go. Also, get it all in writing- that's what I learned the hard way with my first dealer.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Sell privately. Don't let the stealership take your money! Also, instead of wheeling and dealing with a sales associate, perhaps follow on Kevin's footsteps and go directly to a manager.[/quote] It may take a while to sell privately. I can get the VIP invoice price in 3 months, but I'd rather drive a new vehicle ASAP. I will also contact other stealerships (there are 5 within 1 hour drive!) and let them work this out. :D [quote name='jedimaster']Try to get them to give you a bit more. Also, if you do trade it, remember that a slight loss in the trade in money is OK- they are going to sell you the car for the price minus your trade, which saves you on the tax- if you can make the numbers work right, you come out ahead of the game.[/quote] Very good point on the tax saving!! The saving is about 500, which means I am essentially paying 500 over invoice if we see it that way. Hmmmm... should I try to get it down to 750 over invoice or have them throw in some free stuff like all-season carpets? [quote name='7stars']If you're financing, you may want to get as much as you can for the trade. Dealing with the salesman can work to your advantage, because if you can get him to unconditionally agree to certain terms, the manager will have a much harder time dealing with you...I got a guy to promise me the car well under invoice! silly newbie was only working there for 2mos[/quote] I am paying cash. The salesman doesn't know much about Subaru, in fact, I seem to know more about the Legacy (and some other Subaru "secrets") than him and the managers, thanks to this forum! :D Keep it coming, guys!! :laugh:

This Space For Rent

Archived