LegacyGT.com

HID Headlights

Thats bogus. I am a state inspector. You cant fail a car for having HIDs. As long as the lights work, are bright enough, and are aimed properly they pass. Just some idiot saw something out of the ordinary that he thought he could make a buck on. Only time I ever had to fail HIDs was on a yukon that used a dual filament bulb for hi/lo but the HIDs were only low, so there were no high beams.

i dont think the jdm legacys had hids either...not even the 2010 models...not sure why? i think that if you got factory projectors they should come with hid option...surely someone on here has some stock headlights you could buy and just switch em out for inspection..is your setup now just plug and play? hopefully it is, the ebay lights go for around $200 a set i believe..good luck, shame you gotta get rid of hids..

Mine is JDM and yes they have HID from factory.

• 5 months later...

I have a 2010 Legacy and I'm ready to do some upgrades. First was the interior lighting which I switch out for blue LEDs, the kids say this is SIC. Well anyway I was looking into exchanging my low beams for a brighter bulb (being I'm older I need all the light I can get). I see where Sylvania has a bulb that will give me more light without blinding everyone else on the road. Much to my surprise is the way you have to change/replace the bulb., though the fender well? There has got to be an easier way. I was looking @ this and was thinking why not just remove the 2 screws that hold the bucket in place and change the bulb that way.

Any thoughts out there, other then get the son to do this for me.

Thank folks:spin:

If you're talking about Sylvania Silverstars or whatever they're called, don't do it. There are articles on danielsternlighting that explain why they're terrible, not to mention that you'll waste your money as they tend to burn out a lot (I had the misfortune of finding out the hard way on a previous car).

My suggestion would be to either get a HID kit (e.g. DDM Raptor v2) of an acceptable color temperature (<5000K) and fill in the "squirrel spotters" + reaim the headlights properly (there's a guide for doing this on the forums, search for it) or to perhaps look into getting HIR bulbs (I'm not too familiar with these but apparently they're brighter than regular halogens). Heck, if your car were older I'd suggest that even swapping out your bulbs for a new set of halogens would improve the light output but since it's a 2010 model I highly doubt it would make a difference... so look into HID and HIR bulbs instead.

Archived