LegacyGT.com

'05 Legacy GT Stereo Swap?

suicideking

Has anyone had any luck with, or heard anyone having luck with, yanking the stock stereo from an '05 LGT?

John Elway Subaru South (Englewood, CO) tells me no - the stock stereo is integrated with the climate control system and cannot be moved or removed.

The local CarToys guys (Lone Tree, CO and Aurora, CO) tell me yes, they can stick the stereo somewhere underneath the dash and fabricate a good-looking dash kit to mask its removal. However, the labor to create the dash kit and move the stock stereo is going to be $300+. Could be as high as $500.

I've got a fairly...extensive array of equipment that I plan to move from my '02 Z06 to the new LGT. In-dash DVD and NAV w/ an MP3 hard drive (Kenwood Excelon), two JL Audio Amps (300/4, 500/1), and two Infinity Perfect 10" DVC Subs. Also planning to purchase two sets of Infinity Perfect 6.1 Kappa Seperates, since I can't pull them from the Vette.

After extensive Googling and Deja Newsing, I can't find anyone who has done a stereo swap.

The Park Meadows Car Toys tells me they've done an OBXT with a KVT-915 w/ NAV. I plan to ask if its ok to talk to the owner and see their handiwork. Barring that, I don't really care for me and my car to act as guinea pigs, but given my audiophilic needs, I don't see that I have any choice. Heh.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

I have a single 10" DVC in there now, and it's capable of being much louder than I'll ever have it (or can have it without breaking the windows out)

Let us know if the 6.1's workout.. I've heard there will be problems fitting because of the depth, but it seems if you get the right spaces you might be able to make it.. Those are the ones I was thinking of getting.

You can keep the stock stereo and install your new head unit in the cubby hole..

You can keep the stock stereo and install your new head unit in the cubby hole..

I asked the Car Toys guys about that - keeping the stock stereo in its place and bypassing its audio functions with a new system.

The KVT-911 is deeper than your average-sized DIN unit, so it supposedly won't fit in the cubby-hole. Plus with the way the swing-up screen works, it would be in an awkward position.

You got what you want from a single 10", eh? :D

Archived