LegacyGT.com

Coolant issues is this a head-gasket?

2005 Legacy GT 5EAT.....

This is my overflow reservoir. Covered in some kind of oily slime on the inside. Is this indicative of a HG leaking? Oil into coolant, not coolant into oil....is that unusual or just another symptom.

No loss of coolant and no obvious water in the oil. I also used one of the Napa brand "block leak" test kits that test for exhaust gas in the coolant - I tried right after a fast, hot run. It did not show a positive result.

Any ideas?

OilyOverFlow.jpg.4eb494efc2030ffad59faf9dde1b8385.jpg

youch, that's not at all like anything I'd ever wanna see in there.

maybe a longshot, but: do you use the conditioner; i don't personally, but I wonder if the 'chunks' could have become such a slick?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/coolant-conditioner-chunksii-71247.html?t=71247&highlight=coolant+chunks

maybe guys who use it could chime on appearance.

mileage, out of curiosity? oil levels?

good luck, in any event.

84K miles.

I always have to top up the oil ( Mobil 1) a bit now and then but nothing different from the way it has always been.

I have not intentionally put any conditioner in the coolant - but who knows what those quickie oil-change people do!

hmm. i've never seen the telltale 'milkshake' coolant that pertains to hg leak (thank goodness), but that pic you posted is about exactly as i'd imagine it...

experience any overheating/high temp events?

Nope, car seems to have no overheating issues at all. Always stays below 1/2 way.

The milkshake you are referring to I suppose would be the "water into oil" one sees when a HG leak allows coolant into the oil system. Usually see that when you take off the oil filler cap. I have none of that - thank goodness. Just changed the oil and saw nothing unusual.

No, that gunk is just lining the inside of the overflow tank. The coolant itself looks all green and fine. There are no chunks or anything. The oil has to have come from somewhere - just wondering if a HG is the only possibility... will advise on what the dealer says

This turned out to be a HG. Now I am faced with a $2K repair bill. One owner, all maintenance, nice little surprise from Subaru at 84k. WTF!

I am going to try throwing myself on mercy of Subaru to see if they will cut me some kind of deal as I can show I did change oil/coolant at recommended intervals.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived