LegacyGT.com

Tell me about the 5EAT in the 05+ LGT

MF-DIF

I'm considering getting rid of my 04 WRX for an 05+ LGT. My WRX is "stage 2" 5MT w/sti strut/jdm springs. How are the 5EAT LGTs? Is the shifting slow and horrible? Does the tranny eat a ton more HP than the 5MT? How much lag does it cause the turbo and will "stage 2" cure it?

I'm considering the auto and the LGT for practicallity and comfort.

5EAT eats more whp but puts out more lbft from what we have seen on some dynos.

Shifting is somewhat sloppy but better than many autos out there.

"Lag" is perceived because of the high stall torque converter. Stage 2 cures it, you are pretty much spooled by 2600rpms and full boost by 3K on the stock VF40.

You won't be able to launch unless you boost brake, not something you should be doing daily.

You DO have to get some mods for the 5EAT if you go Stage 2. Consensus is at least a tranny cooler and possibly a modded valve body aka shift kit.

Running the risk of getting flamed, the 5EAT AWD system is nicer than the MT imho. More flexible and works better with the transmission.

If you want an automatic, the 5EAT LGT is a very nice car.

The SO and I share only 1 car and she refuses to learn manual. Which is fine, I take the car to work, she takes the subway. But it means I'm always the DD, and when we take road trips, it's me doing all the miles. So this is the basic appeal of the auto to me...lol.

What on avg is the whp/wtq of a stage 2 LGT 5EAT vs stage 2 LGT 5SPD. I think as long as I can make 220+whp I'd be happy.

Hehe.. there's a few guys here that have a dyno'ed on a dyno dynamics... a stg 2 is about 230awhp. I understand, the pros and cons of having a MT.. not that many people can drive it. I just broke down and got it, the 5EAT shifting is actually the best one I've driven, except for the DSG'ed VW's are really nice and smooth. So... it's not bad for what you get. Certainly takes a little getting used to doing 5eat and it's shifting patterns etc, but you can always force it into the manual shift mode which at least cures it partially. It's still no MT no matter what way you look at it, but power is good enough for me... but then again I'm getting older and not so snobby about powerful cars. Yes this is the slowest car I've owned, but honestly I'm pretty happy with it.

What on avg is the whp/wtq of a stage 2 LGT 5EAT vs stage 2 LGT 5SPD. I think as long as I can make 220+whp I'd be happy.

With a decent set up and tune you will hit those numbers no problem, and some very nice torque to the tune of over 270lbft IIRC :lol:

Make sure you get a tranny cooler to help it out at the very least and also keep up with ATF drain/refills, do them about once every 25K miles or so if you beat on it.

With a downpipe and protune I was putting down 237whp and 270wtq. Shifts were nice and smooth for me. The interior and standard features are really nice too. The navigation was the only thing I was a little disappointed with.

Archived