LegacyGT.com

92 Legacy Turbo Urgent Questions

So I have the opportunity to buy a 1992 Legacy Turbo automatic, with 170k on it for approx $350. Im pretty sure Im gonna do it simply because even if it's crap I can scrap it and make my money back. My question is what should I immediatly look for before purchase. I've got > two days to make a decision or it will be gone. The owner (who I know because he's been a customer at my parts store for several years) said he ran it to and from work 50 miles a day for two years before finding a VW rabbit diesel that gets like 50mpg. Then he parked it about 2 years ago and it's sat since. He started it and said its running rough, and the cel in on...(likely very old gas im hoping). The brakes pulsate (rotors worn, not warped of course...:rolleyes:). He also said it has the trans and rear diff from a 91 non turbo? Somthing about a diff problem and also that the trans has been modded to shift it like a manual. (valve body kit of some sort?) It also comes with the original trans that is supposedly in working order. I dont know about rust or body condition at all. I should get a chance to drive it tomorrow night, and probably have to make a decision then. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a money trap: a 350 dollar car with 3500 dollars worth of problems. I'd have jumped on it 25 years ago but I don't know. I guess it all comes down to your skill level. If you can get it running easily enough you should do OK. If not, like you said, part it out and get out quick.

Pete

Archived