LegacyGT.com

Seat Modification?

I am a new Subaru owner (2006 Legacy 2.5 Special Edition). I absolutely love the car, but I have a huge problem with the driver's seat, it is too close to the steering wheel. I wanted to find out if anyone had some suggestions for some seat mods to make the driver seat more comfortable. I am 6-1 and hit the steering wheel with my knee every time it hit the brake (very annoying). My car is equipped with the power drivers seat and factory sub-woofer. My last car (06 Audi A4), the seat would slide back almost all of the way to the rear seat (at least 5 inches more than this car). I am hoping to get the same sort of functionality without spending too much... Am I asking for too much? I can't see myself keeping this car very long unless I get this fixed shortly. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Try changing the lumbar support it makes a big difference as it totally changes the angle of your lower back and how close your feet are to the pedals.

Also try different shoes as a last resort. I find depending on whether I wear one pair or another due to different sole thicknesses it is perfect or barely comfortable. Even days where I wear a jacket or just a shirt makes a difference, it's ridiculous.

I would have thought you had the same problem as me, i.e. enough leg space but wheel is then too far away (no telescopic adjustment on the wheel). Even on days where I get it perfect the damn headrest is angled forward and pushes my head forward, and/or I can't see part of the instrument panel since the rim of the steering wheel is in the way! The ergonomics problems with this car is neverending...

I'm only 5'8 as well which is probably the same as most Japanese people.

Yeah many Audi seats slide back insanely far... but this is a Japanese designed car. I'm 6'4 and don't have this problem, so I'm thinking you can do a few things: remove the plastic piece above your feet. Will allow your toes to move up higher so your heels can get farther forward. Have you played with every electric control on your seat? Every non-electric control? Tilted up the steering wheel further. Your next best bet might then be to fabricate a metal bracket set that allows you to bolt your seat an inch or two further back. I'm not sure on how much space you have under there to bolt in some steel brackets (like the stuff you buy in lengths from home depot), but I suspect this can be made to work.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Thanks for the suggestions guys. teK, believe it or not, shoes make a huge difference. I actually noticed this before you posted your message. Shoes with a slimmer sole on them are the difference between hitting my knee on the steering wheel or not. I guess I will have to go shopping :)

Converse Chucks (low cut) are my favorite driving shoes. The thin, solid rubber sole provides great feedback and grip. I use them while driving on the track and for lifting weights at the gym, then wear them on lazy weekends, they are such a cheap and versatile shoe :D

Archived