LegacyGT.com

$500 to install springs??

bocalu99

I got an estimate from a shop in West Hollwyood area that i pretty much trust for over $500 to install a new set of springs (Eibachs) on my '05 LGT sedan. This seems high; the mechanic told me it would be like almost 7 hours of labor, which seemed REALLY high. I just moved out here several months ago and I dont really have any tools or jacks or stands, or i would try to do it myself. Is this a reasonable estimate or should i find another place? I'd really like to find a SoCal member on this board who has the resources to help me install. Obviously i'll pay, I just dont wanna spend 500 (something about spending twice as much on the install as i paid for the product is disheartening lol) Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

7 hours for a mechanic with tools is nuts. I did mine with a friend in his driveway with a jack and jackstands in a couple of hours. $500 is ridiculous. I'm sure someone local can help you. PM M Sprank (Mike). He's out in Cali and I'm sure he knows someone.

You should go to A&A Tire and Auto Repair in pasadena at my mechanic should only be like 100-150 installed (626) 449-5213 2307 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA mechanics name is Sarkis If you do call or got to my mechanic Tell him Jason Y. with the White 08 subaru legacy sent you. $ 500 bucks is nuts. He'll give you a great quote, should take no less than 1 hr to 1.5 hr. I had all my suspension done there. If you need more details PM me. It may be cheaper

Buy me lunch and I will do it.

WTF, $500? Takes no time at all. Don't even need a spring compressor.

I installed Max's KW's yesterday and set ride height + compression in less time than that guy quoted you.

That is way too expensive. My neighbour got his springs swaped for 200$ a couple of years ago.

Call AMAZON-RACING.COM. HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA 714-842-4242

7652 Slater Avenue Suite 3, Huntington Beach, California 92647.

He is well known in the rally and VARA racing and toyota communities. call him for an estimate.

They should not charge more than 2-3 hours max. I take 3-4 tops.

I got an estimate from a shop in West Hollwyood

Please please please PLEASE post the shop name. I am in the area and I HAVE to screw with these guys.

I just want to go in and get some quotes. :lol:

Will be worth posting for a laugh.

THEY ARE COMPLETELY OUT OF THEIR MINDS. Contact MSprank. Give him $$$ and buy him some Japanese. I already bought him Mexican this week.

SEVEN HOURS? I bet it takes the guy 45 minutes to fill his car up at the gas station.

PM replied. If both of you want to swap springs we could meet in a central location and do them on the same day. Be like a "spring swap, meet". It really takes minimal tools and I have done it more times than I can remember.

do it your self. go to sears and buy a set of crafts men tools. you will most likely need a 14 mm and 17 or a 19mm i believe. spring compressors and a jack and jack stand combo from harbor freight.. shouldn't take you longer than 3-4 hours if your handy with a ratchet. in all youll spend about 100-150 bucks.

MSprank might have to weigh in here but I am 90% sure that my rear lower strut bolts were torqued to over 250lbs from the factory torque gorilla. Required long bar and leg power. (Pretty sure it is supposed to be 60lbs or so.)

It was over 120ftlbs. Thats all I know. I use a 2ft breaker on one side as a lock and a 3 foot breaker to bust the nut loose. Works every time. Never had one not come off.

You also DO NOT need spring compressors. I have posted a million times that the springs are under so little pressure that the top hat nut only shoots a few inches. It is not a missile and the spring stays in place. One of the easiest spring swaps on a Japanese car I have ever done.

PM replied. If both of you want to swap springs we could meet in a central location and do them on the same day. Be like a "spring swap, meet". It really takes minimal tools and I have done it more times than I can remember.

I wouldn't mind getting in on this meet if it happens. I don't need my springs swapped, but I would really appreciate a set of experienced eyes to help me figure out what a shop may have done wrong with my Koni install on stock springs. Something just isn't right. Front end clunking at low speeds over small bumps in the road (already replaced endlinks/swaybar bushings, tightened subframe bolts and lugs). Thinking -- or should I say hoping -- the spring seating may be off rather than a completely botched job.

I have tools, a jack, and stands so working multiple cars simultaneously could be an option (and make a nice photo). Will travel for help!

Sounds like the tophat nut is loose and the spring is moving vertically rather than being held in place. Can be difficult to properly torque the nut without the proper tools. You could use an air gun. But it will spin the shaft possiby damaging a inner seal (seen it done a million times with no damage). Or get a strap wrench to hold the shaft while you tighten the nut (proper technique). I have the strap wrench and the air.

Not trying threadjack here but the top-side bolts/nuts don't feel loose. Can it be loose even if it doesn't feel loose?

With a socket holding the central 17 mm nut, I attempted to tighten the inner 9 mm nut (analogous to the hex on the stocker), but it wouldn't move and I was concerned with breaking it under extra effort. Anything else worth looking at?

Are you only supposed to use a strap wrench or air tool if you don't have a pass through socket?

Strap wrench.

Are springs seated in perch correctly? Front top hats have a conical washer under the top hat, is it there anymore? Is it upside down? A couple possibilities from a botched install.

Archived