LegacyGT.com

Failed cooling fan at 60k

Just got a call from the dealership that is doing the 60k service on my '06 2.5i, they said one of the two cooling fans is not working (there is power to the fan). $480 p/l to replace, and they recommend recharging the system too (refrigerant is a little low they say) for another $110. I guess I can't complain as I have had no other problems with the car, but as this is a fairly expensive repair I'm just wondering if this is a common part to have go at this age/mileage.

which fan? there is a rad and condenser fan. what are they charging you for parts? There is an aftermarket fan assembly for each which includes the blades and motors for $117 (rad) and $166 (cond).

The fact your low on refrigerant has nothing to due with the fans. If you're low, you're low. But if your air still feels cold, dont do it. Buy one of those can from Autozone or Pep Boys and fill it yourself.

I had one of the fans go @ 39,000 miles, they could get them turn if they gave them a little push, but they couldn't start on thier own. They put two new one's in, under warranty (even though I was 3,000 miles over), no problems since. Also a 2006 2.5I SE.

OK, so this isn't unheard of.

This is the condenser fan, which I see lists for about $270 (for a Subaru one, which is what the dealer is using of course). Yeah, I could get the part and do it myself, but if I had time for that I would have done the 60k myself. And that's not quite fair, as even if I had noticed that the fan was dead I wouldn't have known why it was dead (is it the fan? the relay? something else?) without doing more diagnosis than I probably would have been interested in doing on my own. This dealership has always treated me very decently, they will give me a 15% discount on p+l (the $480 is before discount) and a free loaner car, and their service prices are generally cheaper than independent shops I've checked with even before the discount.

Thanks everybody.

Archived