LegacyGT.com

Ipod in for any legacy factory stereo.

20vkp61

I know there are numerous posts about leptronix/jazzy and direct audio in using the 13pin din or 20pin din , or adapting the ribon cable, but none of those are available to the Japanese models imported throught the world (escpecially NZ and Australia).

I have tried connecting to the 20pin plug on my model with the kenwood head unit and none of the plug outs here work so I have come up with a simple solution that costs about $170 NZD (or about $110USD) and just thought I would share.

Firstly you need to convert the factory rectangular aerial lead to the round motorola style using the applicable adapters. These are similar to items 7&8 on this site http://www.dominoelectronics.com/adaptor_leads.php

Being that the factory Jap stereo only does 78-89fm (or what ever it is) you can now also plug in a standard 10/20 Mhz motorola style band expander to pick up local stations.

Better than that is the ability to use a universal Ipod Convertor as found at http://www.radio-waves.co.nz/products/i-pod-accessories/ (5th item down). This plugs into your motorola aerial lead and not only charges your Ipod, but it also outputs directly on one of 3fm stations 88.2/88.4/88.6. If the normal aerial picks up anything on that frequency it blocks it so you get only what your Ipod is playing on 88.2 for example

So all you need to do is tune your radio to 88.2 and play and your away laughing....

Just thought I would share

Q

so whats the quality like compared to cd quality? I was going to order up the one Magu did but if this will give the same quality of audio output, might as well go for that! Mines jdm model too so i have an fm band expander hooked up. will i still be able to use this with the AUX-box?

Actually i just realized i don't have an ipod. so does it give an 3.5mm jack output too by any chance?

@Magu: installed the FSL-21 yet?

so whats the quality like compared to cd quality? I was going to order up the one Magu did but if this will give the same quality of audio output, might as well go for that! Mines jdm model too so i have an fm band expander hooked up. will i still be able to use this with the AUX-box?

Actually i just realized i don't have an ipod. so does it give an 3.5mm jack output too by any chance?

@Magu: installed the FSL-21 yet?

Will be installing it in 24 hours, roughly. I'm also considering putting one of these inside the centre console.

@ legacydan -

I just got the goodies today so will be cracking into it tonight to let you know the quality but it should be as good as the Ipod plays being that it is direct input via the aerial plug and not transmitted via a frequency. will advise.

As for where they come from it appears the company that makes them is actually UK based. On the outside of the box there is a www.connects2.com which when you click the link takes you to www.connects2.co.uk . on the left menu if you select ipod then universal you the Iconnect-fm is what i have received.

Q

thanks for the info Q, ill have a look, let me know how ur install goes, and if you loose the ability to use the fm radio through the factory headunit. if quality is good i might go for this option instead of the more expensive FSL-21 adapter

Hi 20vkp61, I have an FM adapter (installed by winger Subaru in Auckland $180) that's plugged directly into the back of the stereo....and HATE it. Once it's up to a half decent volume there is too much static, it has an on/off switch that doesn't do much either. So I've ordered an FSL-21 as they look like the perfect solution albeit a bit pricey. Wish the FSL-21 could video switch too :)

Just to be clear, my adapter has a 3.5mm plug not the Ipod plug. The www.radio-waves.co.nz one looks way better, I think I got ripped on my one. Regardless IMHO the FSL-21 is worth the extra $$$ if you are going to all the trouble of installing it, an MF modulator is always going to be an issue with static.

Hi 20vkp61, I have an FM adapter (installed by winger Subaru in Auckland $180) that's plugged directly into the back of the stereo....and HATE it. Once it's up to a half decent volume there is too much static, it has an on/off switch that doesn't do much either. So I've ordered an FSL-21 as they look like the perfect solution albeit a bit pricey. Wish the FSL-21 could video switch too :)

so you have no working fm radio in your car now?

I plugged all my bits in last night and all I can say is it works (but you get what you pay for) ... ie ...

1) With only band expander in everything is fine. I can pick up all the stations I want to (presets 1-5). Tune in 88.0fm into preset 6 for the ipod while at it.

2) Plug the Ipod adapter inline after the fm expander, and check the radio stations (presets 1-5) , no degredation from section one so all good.

3) plug in ipod to adapter. Ipod starts charging which is a bonus, but there is noticable degredation on the 5 presets and audio output level actually decreases a bit. (not so good)

4) hit preset 6 and can hear Ipod playing ... yippeee ... Quality sounds a little bassy (less top end or treble) but if you arent to picky its fine. If the majority of the listening is via Ipod you can use the bass/treble controls to fine tune it out easy enough.

----------------

All in all ... The setup works and while not CD Quality its listenable. Only problem seems to be trying to listen to the fm radio stations while leaving the Ipod pluged in to charge, as there is noticable fm degredation. if you unplug the ipod however everything works perfectly. In saying that the area I live in (South Auckland) does have a lot of community stations and getting good reception via a band expander can be a task in itself at the best of times.

----------------

where to from here. Magu ... I wouldnt mind having a listen to the option you did to see the quality difference if possible (sent you a private message re this). Are going to contact importer direct as opposed to radio-waves and ask about the degredation to FM while leaving the ipod in.

-------------

Overall .... happy that I have FM and Ipod, but, not so happy so as to say "Im a pig in sh1t".

Q

!!! NOW IM AS HAPPY AS A PIG IN MUD !!!

Loss of signal is more an area issue as the further up the motorway I went the better the quality become and I could listen to the stereo with the ipod still in and effectively charging. Dang south auckland community radio stations.

As for the bassy or hollow sound that was an EQ setting. I found this out via trying to adjust the volume control for the stereo by using the Ipod and nothing happened. So then I thought there must be a level control or eq built into the ipod output somehow and under settings you can change to one of about 15 EQ options. With a quick play i took mine from "small speaker" (high bass, nil mid, low trebble) and put it on "rock" mode (med bass, nil mid, med treble), and all of a sudden my holley bassy sound was replaced with crystal clear music .... well ... as good as the quality of my ipod recordings anyways.

So overall, for $170 NZD im rolling in the mud and one happy piglet.

Quintin

That's something I noticed while shopping for FM transmitters. They seem to work fine in the (North) Shore, but whenever I crossed the bridge they stopped working. Auckland CBD has a lot polluting the airwaves and it is damn near impossible to get good quality.

Happy to know that the aerial (sorta) works, but the FSL-21 is worth it IMHO.

As a side note, I leave the iPod on the 'Loudness' setting and have my radio tuned as follows:

BASS +8

MID +4

TREBLE +6

Factory speakers, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived