LegacyGT.com

flex up-pipe question

I can't remember what the thread was about the mesh flex on the up pipe that came apart and destroyed the guys turbo but my question is why do expensive up-pipes come with a flex if they have been known to fall apart? I recently decided to buy a more expensive up-pipe but I had no idea it was a flex section. Should I send it back and get pipe without mesh or was it just a freak thing that happened to that member? I am worried that it could leak or come apart.

... my question is why do expensive up-pipes come with a flex..

It creates less mechanical stress on the exaust/headers/turbo by allowing thermal expansion/contraction. Thus better long term reliabilty and less chance of an exaust leak.

Only bad side is a SLIGHT chance of failure and they create internal turbulance (slightly longer spool, and slightly less power). Still better then ever the STI stock one though.

yes that is true i mis posted i did not buy an expensive up pipe i bought dc sport up pipe with mesh and the guy at subimods said this is an AEM brand and said it should be find.. Not calling out subimods on this by any means I just want to know what everyone thinks. I did get a killer deal on it BTW.

Cheapo ERZ flex UP from ebay. Been on the car over 5 years now without a problem and it cost like $75.

Thanks maybe I am just paranoid from the one post I saw about megan headers. I suppose i'll give this a try. if the pipe kills the turbo i guess thats just an excuse to go bigger :eek:

It depends on where the flex is in the pipe and if it is internally lined. The cheap ones that come apart into turbos have the flex in a bend and no internal lining. Misapplication of flex.

I have no experience with the DC. I have no worries about the flex in my Grimmspeed ewg uppipe.

No problem. Good luck to you. Thanks for letting us know that the DC uppipe has an flex joint that is internally "raw". Will help other members make an informed decision before purchase.

Now for a guinea pig to run the pipe and see if it detonates, lol.

I have no worries about the flex in my Grimmspeed ewg uppipe.

me neither. +1 for grimmspeeds ewg flex up, excellent quality.

but other than that, seems like all bases have been covered. Bottom line, cheapo flex up's are not worth the life of your turbo for the 70-100 bucks you save. The ERZ however is the only exception I know of.

me neither. +1 for grimmspeeds ewg flex up, excellent quality.

but other than that, seems like all bases have been covered. Bottom line, cheapo flex up's are not worth the life of your turbo for the 70-100 bucks you save. The ERZ however is the only exception I know of.

Thats exactly why I am not going to use my cheapo flex joint up pipe

• 6 years later...
got a grimmspeed ewg upipe that is leaking at the mesh. been running a really lean afr at idle in gear like 16 to 17.8 a couple of days ago. so I checked for any leaks up top found one fixed it. still no change so I put some seafoam in the brake booster line and let the mf smoke. all was good except the upipe. thank god for internal lining. it only has 7k miles on it I don't get how this could happen.

got a grimmspeed ewg upipe that is leaking at the mesh. been running a really lean afr at idle in gear like 16 to 17.8 a couple of days ago. so I checked for any leaks up top found one fixed it. still no change so I put some seafoam in the brake booster line and let the mf smoke. all was good except the upipe. thank god for internal lining. it only has 7k miles on it I don't get how this could happen.

I think they will usually warranty this sort of thing.

Archived