LegacyGT.com

Brake rotor temp variance questions

I had asked this in another thread detailing the install of my HPS pads and Centric Rotors. I'm hoping this draws more attention, and hopefully someone with more knowledge chimes in,

Today I went out for a drive to check temps on the rotors just for fun, and I'm not sure if the results mean anything since I cant find any reliable info on this. The first numbers are the starting temps, completely cooled, second set is driving across town 3 miles like normal, third set is driving back aggressively, fourth set is from a 60 mph to 0 stop, and the last set is back up to 60, then coasting down without using the brakes at all.

LF-75, 130, 200, 244, 181,

RF-67, 112, 172, 180, 133

RR-70, 143, 172, 304, 182

LR-69, 150, 154, 278, 184

I guess what I find odd is that the rears seem to be hotter or very close most of the time to the fronts. The left front is always the hottest, and is hotter by 20-30% than the right front. And the right front, is on average, the coolest of all. I can physically feel that the left front is hotter just by holding my hand close. Can anyone give any insight on this. I'm by no means an expert on brake temperatures. Maybe a variation of 30-80 degrees isn't that much? maybe the fronts being larger over-all, and slotted, is keeping them cooler than the rears? Could it just be that the left front of the car is heaviest with the battery, and driver?

Archived