LegacyGT.com

A few questions about an EJ20

Hello all

I've recently put an EJ20 in my 72 VW Beetle. I thought I had a few questions but it seems to be quite a few!

It's a great runner although the gas mileage around town seems like it could be better.

about 8km to to the liter in an 800kg car. Should it be better as the car is lighter? I do run higher RPM's than in a Legacy though, so perhaps that evens out...

Also I have some plumbing questions.

There's a tube coming off the throttle body that has no hose on it, doesn't seem to be hurting anything just wondering what it is....

I was hoping for a picture of a legacy engine from the firewall side...

I also don't have a knock senor, but my harness does have the provision for it, any harm here? Pro's cons?

Where can I find the exact engine code (to the right of the intake on the rear of the engine standing in front of it?) if I have that number can I identify the exact engine type and what it came out of?

Also having an issue with a VERY stubborn air pocket getting stuck just at the CTS, it's pegged my aftermarket gauge a few times but the coolant itself is about 80 celcius but the gauge reads up to 125 celcius. Keep it at 3-4k Rpm for about 40 seconds and it pushes through and drops to a nice 80-85 celcius....very frustrating. If turn the engine off for over 30 seconds the air seems to get trapped there again as it's a higher point and at the very end of the cycle thus getting the least amount of push as it's just in front of the waterpump...

Anyone have values for the CTS (ohms)?

Values for the gas gauge in ohms? (i'm using the Suby pump and want to match to Beetle gauge)

Starts great cold and hot, runs well, no black smoke indicating a rich condition.

It has about 300k kilometers on it and is still running strong. Just want to be informed and keep my engine in the best shape it can be.

Any ideas on getting that stubborn pocket out? Keep in mind that I'm running coolant lines front to back on the beetle with the radiator up front so that's quite a bit of coolant for the pump to push...

What weight oil do these engines like? I'm running a pretty open exhaust, is lack of backpressure an isseu?

Thanks in advance and hope to gain some knowledge here! Love these Suby's!

A video of my bug, gotta make a better one, this was the day the exhaust was made just wanted to hear how it sounded:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myt3pfHZMSE]YouTube- Beetle EJ20 evening driveby[/ame]

Archived