LegacyGT.com

Possible engine failure! Take it to dealer or IAG?

WildBoxer

UPDATE 06.15.10 :

Got the car back with a new shortblock courtesy of Subaru. A melted bearing was the culprit, and was covered under powertrain warranty considering I have performed all services as required.

-------

So, our '05 2.5i took a crap this week. Not real sure what happened since my wife has been driving it, but suffice it to say it's sitting in my driveway right now waiting for me to tow it somewhere. I never thought I'd be dealing with this on a 53K mile Subaru. :mad:

She said it lost power going uphill and got pretty loud. She thought it was the exhaust making racket, but I told her that was probably the engine knocking really bad. It died on her and we had to have a friend tow it home on his trailer. Now it's really hard to start, and when I got it to start once, I heard a horrendous squeaking and shut it off right away.

Any way, I'm debating right now where to tow it. It's probably either going to Heritage Subaru / VW in Owings Mills or IAG Performance. Does anybody know if IAG does repair work like this? If the motor is in serious need of repair or a rebuild, is that something that they do there, and will it be much cheaper than the dealer? I'm not looking to get any performance out of it (It's not a GT) unless it needs a new motor. Then maybe I'll have them swap in an H6 for me.... :lol:

I haven't had a chance to call either place for prices since I'm crazy busy at work, but I am able to monitor this site, so if anybody has any input that would be great.

Thanks!

Heritage is a good dealer. A guy I sorta know on another forum works there and I always hear good reviews. If you had a GT and wanted more power with a built bottom end, I'd say IAG but with a 2.5i, take it to the dealer.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the dealer at this point. Back when I had a few VW's I dealt with Heritage and never had a bad experience. I used to work at one of their other dealers so maybe they will still honor my discount. That would be sweet!

I didn't want to have to tow it that far, but I think it'll be worth it. Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

New shortblock installed courtesy of a melted bearing. :mad:

100% covered under powertrain warranty, thankfully.

I'd love to know what causes bearings to melt in a 53K boxer engine that has not been neglected. All services performed when required, fluids checked at every fillup (at least every other week.)

:confused:

New shortblock installed courtesy of a melted bearing. :mad:

100% covered under powertrain warranty, thankfully.

I'd love to know what causes bearings to melt in a 53K boxer engine that has not been neglected. All services performed when required, fluids checked at every fillup (at least every other week.)

:confused:

Didja ask them? Were you checking your oil level on every gas refill? Were you doing frequent jack-rabbits (knowingly or unknowingly)?

Other than that, the crank might have gotten clogged with something and not enough oil was being circulated and caused the bearing to get spun?

Archived