LegacyGT.com

Best option for rear diff?

frkkevin

Looking for the strongest option for the rear diff.. car is a 05 5EAT

Figure this will be the first to let go.. and or the front diff. Can treating the gears be sufficient enough?

Power will be in the range of 600-700whp.

... and yes the revival is in progress. Waiting for the machine shop and turbo to get back. And still have to order the 2200cc injectors/fuel pump..

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

Our cars can mount R160 and R180 diffs... I wonder if you can fit an R200.

And I wonder if an R220 exists.

Custom driveshafts would probably be needed, but you're likely past the limits of Subaru's shafts anyway.

Looking for the strongest option for the rear diff.. car is a 05 5EAT

Figure this will be the first to let go.. and or the front diff. Can treating the gears be sufficient enough?

Power will be in the range of 600-700whp.

... and yes the revival is in progress. Waiting for the machine shop and turbo to get back. And still have to order the 2200cc injectors/fuel pump..

Assuming you got everything else covered, a sti/spec b r-180 rear is what you will want. you will have to make sure the ring/pinion ratio matches the one in your 5eat front diff.

you are gonna want to see if your center diff is up tot he challenge though. for the 5/6mt they make upgraded center diffs to handle power like this, but the VTD one in the 5eat may be your weak point.

quaife makes an upgraded rear helical rear diff for the r-160. this should be good enough for you application if you dont want to worry about finding a r-180 with a matching gear ration to your front.

cusco and kaaz also make clutch type rear diffs for the r-160. you have alot of options

her, look halfway down the page int he diffs section

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subtrn.htm

well lets see how long the stocker holds out :p

i still really wish i had just switched to a GM trans and redid the rear suspension and through in a dana 60 or similar.. would have just been RWD but no issues holding power and replacement parts are a lot cheaper

all in all in the end im sure the 5k trans price for the IPT would have been enough to pay for the swap

tubbed out lgt anyone!? :)

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

What benefits would we have with going with one of these over the stock viscous? Basically, what driving characteristics would improve especially if we already have a helical fLSD?

quaife makes an upgraded rear helical rear diff

for the r-160. this should be good enough for you application if you dont want to worry about finding a r-180 with a matching gear ration to your front.

cusco and kaaz also make clutch type rear diffs for the r-160. you have alot of options

her, look halfway down the page int he diffs section

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subtrn.htm

basically the stock viscous unit is garbage. it will never be able to transfer any reasonable amount of torque during performance driving. and since its a reactive diff, only working after a wheel has already slipped, it really only makes sense in inclimate weather or low traction situations where you need to get the car through a slick surface.

a helical diff in the rear similar to what the 07-09 6mt spec b comes with is a much better solution for performance driving much the same way a helical is better than a clutch pack up front.

basically the stock viscous unit is garbage. it will never be able to transfer any reasonable amount of torque during performance driving. and since its a reactive diff, only working after a wheel has already slipped, it really only makes sense in inclimate weather or low traction situations where you need to get the car through a slick surface.

a helical diff in the rear similar to what the 07-09 6mt spec b comes with is a much better solution for performance driving much the same way a helical is better than a clutch pack up front.

Nice. Thanks. I forgot that the Spec B had a rear helical. I think i know what my next mod will be. ::icon_idea

3.272 final drive, which is unique to the 5eat. Maybe you can carry over just the ring, don't know. You would be the first to have any real need to do so.

What did IPT do to the center diff? Their regular treatment or something additional?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

FWIW someone put in a cusco RLSD and it fit, but he experienced a little tire chatter in tight turns.

^well, if there is not 3.272 gear for the r-180, then anyone with a 5eat will have to just get upgrades to the stock r-160 rear such as the quaife unit.

Would the RLSD you have not work? Thought the Subaru-brand ones from Rallispec were the crowd favorite...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I still have the stock unit in the rear wich is the same as yours. the cusco unit would give chatter since its a clutch type unit. rallispec does not advertive a helical solution for the r-160 rear. I know quaife makes one though. i also know that for us 5mt folk with 4.11 gears that you can install the spec-b r180 rear as long as you can find a 4.11 ring/pinion for the r180. there are some old 80's nissans that came with a r-180 long nose rears with 4.11 gears so if i can find a set from them, i can install in the spec b r-180 and then install it in to my car.

^def for track driving, but for an autox car, a helical is better. you might like a 1.5 way in the rear, but you will want a better center to make use of it. ever think of getting the cusco tarmac cente with the 35/65 split?

Nice. Thanks. I forgot that the Spec B had a rear helical. I think i know what my next mod will be. ::icon_idea

Yep, the SpecB uses an R180 torsen rear differential.

I'm considering an STI differential for upfront. Although I don't think I'll have one in time for my clutch install.

Archived