LegacyGT.com

exhaust question?

GTLegacy05

Just bought my first subaru today an 05 GT 5MT so I'm new to subarus and i'm looking to upgrade the whole exhaust the header,up/down, and catback, but I was wondering how they sound catless? I found header w/up pipe(which is catless) for a pretty good price and then I was looking at the ERZ catless downpipe for about $189(which looks pretty good not sure if anyone on here used it before that can give some input on it). I'm just not sure how it would sound like is it going to have that annoying raspy sound like some cars have that don't have cats on them and just sound really bad that I should atleast get one thing with a cat or is it gonna sound pretty good without cats?

p.s. if this has been answered on here already somewhere before sorry ahead of time.

My recomendation is to first do the up pipe. They are catted in the '05 and have been known to fail. The second option is going to depend on how loud you want to go. The cheapest way is to da a muffler delete and have the factory tips welded on. Loud but does sound sweet. There are cat backs that range from $350 ebay and up from there.

The second and third cat don't have to be removed unless you are going stage 2 (search that and there is a ton of info) and removing them wouldn't give any noticeable gains. The headers honestly unless you do el headers (equal length and lose boxer rumble) and a tune I think it is a waste of cash.

I am running no cats with Magnaflow mufflers and it is pretty quiet. There is a noticeable smell from 1 cat to no cat. (I know from experience dude!) I would say keep the last cat in place. That's all! Good luck and welcome to the web site that will take up hours of your life!

There is a cat in the stock uppipe, two cats in the stock downpipe, a resonator in the mid/y pipe, and then the two mufflers. Go catless uppipe, but a catted or catless downpipe is up to you.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

My recomendation is to first do the up pipe. They are catted in the '05 and have been known to fail. The second option is going to depend on how loud you want to go. The cheapest way is to da a muffler delete and have the factory tips welded on. Loud but does sound sweet. There are cat backs that range from $350 ebay and up from there.

The second and third cat don't have to be removed unless you are going stage 2 (search that and there is a ton of info) and removing them wouldn't give any noticeable gains. The headers honestly unless you do el headers (equal length and lose boxer rumble) and a tune I think it is a waste of cash.

I am running no cats with Magnaflow mufflers and it is pretty quiet. There is a noticeable smell from 1 cat to no cat. (I know from experience dude!) I would say keep the last cat in place. That's all! Good luck and welcome to the web site that will take up hours of your life!

Will a catless up pipe from an 07 STi fit the 05 LGT ????

Archived