LegacyGT.com

Cedar Plank Steelhead w/ Capers and Dill Sauce, Asparagus, Dirty Rice

Brady

YUM!

So the Cedar Plank Steelhead is straight forward - Soak a cedar plank, lay fish on plank, brush with oil, season, grill over low heat until done (about 20 minutes?)

Dill sauce is also very easy ... Mayonnaise, Dill weed, Ground Mustard, Black Pepper - season to taste - and a little white wine vinaigre - add to desired consistency - it doesn't take much, so go sparingly.

And my favorite Asparagus recipe is also super simple - put tips in freezer bag, pour in a little olive oil and coat asparagus, then sprinkle in sea salt, re-coat asparagus. Grill over low heat until it begins to lightly carmelize/char. Serve.

If it weren't so late, I'd go sit on the patio and smoke a cigar. I may still go enjoy a little whiskey. :)

Lots of places have cedar planks. I got mine at Target. You can also get them at Costco. I'm sure I'm paying way too much at Target ... 4 boards for like 7 or 8 bucks. Costco I noticed them 6 boards for like $8.50. (It did look like the planks were a little larger at Costco too).

I'm not sure if it's worth trying to hunt it down much cheaper. I'll probably spend more time than it's worth. Maybe if I got them on Amazon or something.

Ok, this sounds like a silly question: are these cedar planks made for cooking or food handling? I mean, I won't just go pick something at the hardware dept at Target, right? It's in the grill/outdoor/patio dept, correct?

I have enough drama for now.....

Yeah, in the grill and outdoor patio area.

I would only be concerned with buying some kind of treated cedar from a hardware store. Doubt it's an issue, but it's not like I'm going through 4x8' sheets of cedar for my occasional grilling needs, and I hit Target and Costco more often than the Lumber Yard. Probably worth the extra $2 :lol:

It will say that its for grilling and have instructions on how to treat the wood before putting in on the grill. I keep a spray bottle handy for flare-ups.

Many grocery stores will carry them in the seasonal aisle during the summer or you can ask the seafood guy as they sometimes keep them back there. I've got them at Home Depot too by the grill accessories, i.e. grill grates, grill brushes, etc.

Made this last night with Copper River Sockeye Salmon. Everything was super easy; took me less than an hour to make a semi-elegant dinner for 6.

Salad: Lettuce, yellow zucchini, bartlett pears, walnuts in a white balsamic vinegarette.

Entree: Copper River Salmon seasoned with chopped dill, flat leaf parsley, mirin, olive oil, salt and pepper. Dill sauce as above but I added flat leaf parsley as well.

Sides: Grilled Asparagus with chopped thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper. Quinoa whole grain cooked in chicken stock; black beans and cilantro added after the Quinoa was cooked.

Thanks Brady for the recipe and the inspiration. :D

YES! That got all our appetites going from the aroma of the smoking plank. I just realized that I had forgotten to use the capers even tho' I had some ready. Oh well, next time.

sounds good...have to say though, as a steelhead angler, I wouldn't buy steelhead because often times they're wild and harvested from a fragile run...I'd go with sockeye any day over steelhead for taste anyway--easy to find vacuum packed and frozen year round too.

Archived