LegacyGT.com

Question for Japan, Aussie, or European owners re rain

I've been reading threads in Edmunds (and a few here) about US owners complaining that a significant amount of water pours on them when they open the door after their cars have been sitting in the rain. I haven't heard any reviewers with similar complaints, nor have I heard of any complaints from owners in other countries. Is this a US problem or is it a Legacy problem?

[quote name='Drift Monkey']This topic again? :roll: MSB in Japan has the problem as well, namely when he stops to pay toll in the rain.[/quote] What's up with the rolleyes? It's not like I posted about JDM bumpers or whether the GT gets dual climate controls. While you might not give a crap, I think it would be quite an inconvenience to either get my suit soaked or my kids drenched, regardless of the Leg's performance. If it's a problem that can't be fixed, it could be major enough to make me wait for the 2006 version to roll out to see if they can fix it. So one member in Japan complained about getting wet while at toll stations in the rain. Does anyone else outside the US have a problem with excessive amounts of water soaking them when they open their doors on rainy days?

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Teh rollleyes is for posting something that's been posted before. Perhaps you should search first next time.[/quote] Just because a bunch of guys from the US who don't even own a Legacy have discussed something in a thread doesn't mean that the question I asked has been answered in a meaningful way. I did a search, and I discovered what you said, a guy in Japan gets wet when he uses a toll station in the rain. I don't know whether he gets wet when he opens the door or the window. Also, I haven't heard anyone else comment on the problem one way or another. So, if the one guys experience is good enough for you to make your buying decision, that's great. It's not good enough for me. If it bores you that I am beating a dead horse, feel free to ignore this thread.

SC, FWIW I DO own and '05 GT Wagon and I attempted to replicate this last week after a VERY HARD rain storm here in the Seattle area. I had no more water drop on me than in other cars I've driven. The rain had stopped for the most part so it could be that when it is actually raining it does this. I will keep aware of this though and try to report back further. Unfortunately (or is that fortunately?) there isn't a lot of rain in the forcast this week. Guess I could always go out and wash it again! :wink: :lol: Cheers! -Ian

From what I've experienced the rain problem only happens in heavy rain, and when you open your window/door straight away. If you stop, wait a few seconds for the water to drain away, there is no problem. The problem seems to be that water from the windscreen is forced back and up off of the screen and along where the roof racks rails are. When you stop and open the window gravity then takes force and causes the problem. If you wait however it drains away and no problem. Not overly scientific, but I've only come across the problem a couple of times and it only happens when you stop suddenly and then open the window - ie at toll booths, but when you stop and the water has a chance to drain (1-2secs) there is no problem.

You don't need a heavy rain for the problem to occur. I have had happen twice from water beading on the roof overnight from light rain. If I get in the car and put the drivers window down to get some air flow and then drive off, especially if you make a right turn to force the water toward the driver's window, the water pours in over the door and armrest (and you if you are sitting close enough...most annoying if you are on your way to work). Even though I haven't been driving in a heavy rain yet I imagine the same problem would occur. Not a deal breaker, especially since I already have my car, but I would consider it a design flaw. I have not had similar problems with other cars including my WRX wagon. Tom

[quote name='WRXTom']You don't need a heavy rain for the problem to occur. I have had happen twice from water beading on the roof overnight from light rain. If I get in the car and put the drivers window down to get some air flow and then drive off, especially if you make a right turn to force the water toward the driver's window, the water pours in over the door and armrest (and you if you are sitting close enough...most annoying if you are on your way to work). Even though I haven't been driving in a heavy rain yet I imagine the same problem would occur. Not a deal breaker, especially since I already have my car, but I would consider it a design flaw. I have not had similar problems with other cars including my WRX wagon. Tom[/quote] I've had this same thing happen with SEVERAL cars I've had in the past. Even the brand new Tahoe we just bought. For example, using the window washer with the driver's side window down and driving some water will come in through the window. But I guess it's a little different when opening the door, that is what the complaint it right? Peace, Dave

The complaint has more to do with water from the roof rolling into the cabin when the window is down. It is related to the curvature of the roof and nothing to trap the water before it drips into the car. If you look at the car head on you will see how the water would travel from the roof into car. I don't want to make too much of it but it was an unexpected issue. Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Archived