LegacyGT.com

CAN bus device

B-BGTLimited

So I do not have a VAG-COM cable, or any of the other open source cables, but I do own an AVT-841 unit which supports VPW CAN and stuff like that... Visit www.avt-hq.com for more specifics about it, But I was wondering if anyone on here would know if this type of device would work with the open source software. I currently use it to tune and datalog my GM setup using the VPW mode, but I can change it to CAN ISO 15765 which should support communication with the Legacy if I'm not mistaken.

My only question is with EcuFlash, I know that installs specific drivers for cables and I wasn't sure if it would recognize my device as a usable source. Its a Serial connection so I use a USB-Serial adapter, Keyspan to be exact, so typically I'm just using a com port to connect, but I did not see a com port selection option in that program. I just saw everything grayed out and a statment of "no cable connected"

I'm going to be switching my device mode today to see if I can simply datalog and connect to the ecm... With that alone I can diagnose some of my hesitation/studder I get, then after I figure out these machines I might be able to do some tweaking.

Your Legacy uses ISO 9141 for logging, J2534 for flashing. Your device supports 9141, so odds are very good that logging will work. I don't see J2534 in the list, so flashing is unlikely to work.

EcuFlash has no port selection UI, which IMO is a huge pain in the ass. It will guess which port to use. If you have multiple serial devices, it will often guess wrong. If you have only one, and it is supported, it's usually pretty good at finding it.

You'll need RomRaider for logging, not EcuFlash.

I thought the 07 Legacy uses CAN 2.0 aka ISO15765. I know I can't use the same Tactrix cable as 05-06 Legacy's. I read this on RomRaders website

The OpenPort 2.0 is the latest version of the Tactrix cable. This new version of the cable supersedes all prior versions and is the only version currently being sold by Tactrix. Older versions of the cable, such as the OpenPort 1.3, may be used for reading/flashing select non-CANbus Subaru ECUs. The OpenPort 2.0 supports reading/flashing of all Subarus supported by the older cables and adds the ability to read/flash the newer CANbus ECUs (08+ Impreza and 07+ Legacy/Outback/Forester/Tribeca) as well as other new features. All versions of the OpenPort cable have the capability to log ANY modern Subaru. RomRaider logging with the OpenPort 2.0 requires RomRaider version 0.5.1b or later.

Either way if I can log that's a plus in my department, I'm not huge on wanting to tune right now since this is a bit new to me and I am 100% stock right now.

Also yes your correct, I'm aware that RomRader is what I would scan with. I just mentioned EcuFlash because I figured I might be able to do that in the future if this device will work in the mode I need.

I'm going to do some more searching and see what I can find.

Thanks for your reply though.

Your car uses CAN to reflash, and EcuFlash supports that, but as far as I know there are no loggers available yet that use CAN.

J2534 is a layer on top of CAN. I suspect that EcuFlash uses it for reflashing, but I'm actually not certain of that. A third-party device that supports ISO 15765 might work, but I doubt it.

Well I asked the makers of the AVT-841 unit and yes I can do CAN stuff, but unfortunately the romraider and ecuflash software was not written to talk specifically to that device so I'm SOL... Bummer... I see a Tactrix cable in my future. :)

Archived