LegacyGT.com

Moving to DFW Some questions

twisted

Moving to DFW next month

1. Looking to rent townhome/apartment for 3-6 months then buy our own house ASAP.

Taking recommendations for Irving and other centrally located safe neighborhoods. Dont have to be anywhere particular as I will be tele-commuting and my wife doesnt work

Prefer Gated area, 2 br /1.5 ba-2ba townhome otherwise apartment with dedicated parking (underground or garage) and in good parts of irving as I heard South Irving is crappy. Budget around 1100/pm tops.

2. Can anyone recommend any car transport service that can get my 2 subies from Minneapolis to DFW for a good price?

3. Any recommendations for places to house search later on? 250K budget I think the area around Joe Pool lake seems to have the best bang for buck but I dont think it has good schools.

1. Don't move to irving, but rather las colinas (literally right next to it and MUCH nicer)

2. Sorry, don't know any companies...I'll have to look for some soon thought as I may be moving to boston in the summer.

3. Joe Pool lake is pretty far out there. You might consider Hurst, Euless, Bedford, colleyville, southlake, grapevinearea....centrally located between dallas and fort worth, schools are pretty good (esp southlake's from what I hear) and housing is in your budget.

It all depends on where you work (assuming you dont have to drive into work except on rare occasions_), how far you're willing to drive, etc...

I wouldnt want to be "centrally located" between Dallas and Ft Worth because of all the traffic in all directions then. But that is me.

I think Southlake is probably a little too expensive (250k might get you a trailer home there)... But, if you go literally 10 min north you get to Roanoake, which is where some of my in-laws live. They've built up some nice houses out there, but you've gotta travel a bit to get to stuff.

I'm on the east side of Dallas in McKinney, which may be too far for your work travel, but as far as options, it has everything you could want within 15 min of travel, typically 5 min will get you to almost anything. Reason we went with McKinney is that we got 2x the house for the same price as anywhere else we were looking.

I'd say if you can get close to a tollway (121, George Bush Turnpike, DNT) then you're golden. The tollways are SOOOOOOOO nice, sure you pay for them, but they are WELL maintained, very few cops (if thats your thing), and they are actually not TOO congested typically. Optimally, I know someone who wants to get in the Frisco area which is RIGHT off the DNT and 121 tollways. Literally 20 min from the DFW airport.

But whatever you choose, would love to see ya at some meets. If you need help with anything let me know and I'll see what I can do.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Yeah, if you're not working in town then move out into McKinney or Frisco, there are some great home prices to be had out there. You might even find some good deals in Plano, though I'd stay north and west if you're looking there.

For short-term apartments there are quite a few with attached garages and W/D in unit. It's actually a bit insulting how many apartments here have attached garages, something you could rarely ever find up in MN, and up there we had to deal with digging cars out from snow if they were left outside. I know several I can recommend in Plano and at least one over in Las Colinas.

I manage rental houses for a living all around DFW, and my fiancee is a really great real estate agent (for real she is good). Would be happy to help you out as long as you don't mind talking cars a little bit too ;) Just give me or her a call, and we'll be happy to give you the low-down on the market. We're definitely not the only ones who can help you out, but we are happy take care of you if you want! PM'ing info.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

1. Don't move to irving, but rather las colinas (literally right next to it and MUCH nicer)

2. Sorry, don't know any companies...I'll have to look for some soon thought as I may be moving to boston in the summer.

3. Joe Pool lake is pretty far out there. You might consider Hurst, Euless, Bedford, colleyville, southlake, grapevinearea....centrally located between dallas and fort worth, schools are pretty good (esp southlake's from what I hear) and housing is in your budget.

+1 on #1 and #3. I recommend the H-E-B area. Great schools and resonable real estate prices.

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

Archived