LegacyGT.com

exhaust header questions

cybertranz

I was trying to search the forum, but I didn't know where to start. Everytime I search for exhaust headers, it's overrun by postings about CBEs, not the headers. Anyhow, I was really waiting to get CBE and DP before I get a header, but I saw this on ebay and I just can't resist because of the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280458105397&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_5993wt_1138

I've been trying to find out what I should be looking for when shopping for an exhaust header. The sizes are listed, it's black powder coated, and EL. Since it's powder coated, do I still need to wrap it? Should I just make sure the fitment is correct? The only thing I don't like is the UP, which looks like its part of the whole thing, so if I wanted to change, I can't. Would I gain/loss any performance #s if I install this from stock engine? I only have a cobb AP. I know I know, what you get is what you pay for. I mean is the price too good?

$60 great deal. I am running cheapie headers and always will. Expensive headers crack too :lol:

If you want to run these it is really simple, KEEP YOUR OEM MANIFOLD or buy two headers.

Lets remember that these are not pistons, turbos, etc. It is welded tube steel. Woo-woo.

Thanx for the input. I wonder what everyone else thinks about cheaper alternatives. If I do chose to buy, I will keep the stock just in case. looking back at the picture, im sure its not equal length. I wonder if it's gonna be too loud.

I have plenty of experience with headers, lol. Cheap eBay are fine if you buy a few sets. Perrin fit nice, but cost to much. FullRace are the shiznitch, but retail for $2000. FullRace are the ONLY headers that will not crack. I currenty run Perrin, but my OEM are on the wall for when the crack.

Tubing is too thin. S/S does not do well with heating and cooling in a header environment, Lots of vibration from the motor too. Lots of weld points to cause weak spots. Coating and wrapping only captures more of the heat and maes them crack even faster (while helping spool).

It is up to you. How deep are your pockets? Want a money pit or two (like me?)

i dont have the money, so thats why i thought this was a deal, but... it seems counter productive to buy something and not do what it is supposed to do. oh well, put the money aside and go back to saving for stg 2.

i dont have the money, so thats why i thought this was a deal, but... it seems counter productive to buy something and not do what it is supposed to do. oh well, put the money aside and go back to saving for stg 2.

Sounds like you needed to start a what the hell am I supposed to be doing to my Leggie to make more power thread.

Bro I hope this helps you...

Look at ERZ/CNT downpipe. $330 shipped catted $180ish catless

You need a UP. Get STI $60 + OEM gaskets or M2 (ebay) $30 and Grimspeed gasket $15 (what I did for the win)

Look at GMS (Gimmick) catback for $300ish shipped. What a deal

Look for INFAMOUS1. He is in the tuning thread (he is a mod). He can tune your car and is having a COMBO SALE on a DP and tune right now for stupid cheap.

Why the heck are you looking for headers?:confused:

Listen to Max. I looked at him and Mike (msprank) for advice. They are very knowledgeable, and Mike is umm... a hamster tester of products. No offense Mike. Start with the basics. Dp+up and tune. Then follow the threads about headers and so forth. Just my .02

If you're broke like me... don't ever log onto this forum or go to meets :)

I do know that fitment would be the biggest issue, coming from nasioc and helping several guys in the maic region with this the fitment wont be good and unless you have helix uppie or erz with a flex section ,,good luck.

My 05 wrx was putting down 285whp and headers did not really help ,it seemed to slow spool up time , can be tuned out to a point. I had them wrapped as well.

After seeing others putting down huge #'s on stock manifold..i wont buy headers again..I had borlas and if i did it again i'd go that route..I dont want to shoot down your dreams it's just my 2 cents.

thanx guys! i was just pondering about the headers because i saw them on ebay for that price..... so i was just like *woah*.. so i would do what every smart noobie would do, research. i did see the gimmicks for cheap.. i may go back to my stg 2 route. after doing reading (ive been doing a lot more reading than the last 4 years ive been a member), i may hold off on the headers.

gotsflat4, yeah i got really addicted once i saw the member classifieds

Archived