LegacyGT.com

Steering wheel offset

zooted

When I first got my LGT, the steering wheel was slightly offset to the right, such that when I was going straight, the wheel was a few degrees off center to the right. Service said it was an alignment issue even though the car did not pull. After they got the alignment specs and realigned the car, it still didn't pull either way but now the wheel was slightly offset to the left. Should I expect the wheel to be exactly straight when going straight, or are my expectations too high? I am talking about a few degrees only.

z-

I fixed mine myself. Tie rods to each end is what makes the steering point in a particular direction eventhough the car goes straight (zero toe)

It's not a big deal, but the assembly factory is where they screwed up at in making your steering wheel point straight. The aligment is fine though.

Keefe

Keefe

My wheel is straight and my car tracks perfectly with out any pull. I've got 7,500 miles on my LGT.

My 02 WRX came through with the problem you described. The dealer corrected the problem by a realignment, which was covered under warranty.

Have your dealer straighten your wheel under warranty.

I had the exact same problem: Steering wheel offset to the right, car tracked fine. Solution: Dealer fixed steering wheel offset. The tech noted that the tracking/alignment was fine, just that the wheel was offfset. I don't know what the fix was, but it was noted on my work order that the wheel was aligned without messing with alignment settings, since they were in spec.

I had the exact same problem: Steering wheel offset to the right, car tracked fine. Solution: Dealer fixed steering wheel offset. The tech noted that the tracking/alignment was fine, just that the wheel was offfset. I don't know what the fix was, but it was noted on my work order that the wheel was aligned without messing with alignment settings, since they were in spec.

Yep, it's just as Keefe said. You can re-center the steering wheel by making adjustments at the tie-rod ends. As long as you make the adjustments equally on each side you can maintain the alignment. I'm sure that's what they did.

• 3 weeks later...

brought my 05 limited wagon for a 1500mile oil change nad mentioned the off center steering wheel. they checked the alignment anyways (which was fine) but centered the wheel for me. service covered under warranty of course...

john

Odd I just noticed this the other day, and didn't seem to notice it when I fist got the car... perhaps Im just starting to nitpick. But yea it is "almost" straight, cocked a bit to the right, does not pull, goes nice and straight. Im getting some new rims and tires soon Ill have them do an alignment then.

Xenonk: what would I need to do this fix myself? (being fairly mechanically inclined, I had done quite a bit of stuff to my WRX but never messed with the suspension and tie rods) Thanks in advance

John D.

Same problem with my Legacy when I received it. Steering wheel is off center a little to the right (clockwise). I took it in and the dealer found the alignment was off, which was fixed, but the steering wheel was still off center. It's a minor detail to me, but I will probably have it looked at during my second oil change.

Just got back from getting new rims and tires put on and got an alignment as well. It seemed my rear left(driverside) tow was way off which should be close to zero was at -.25! this was what it had come with from the factory, unless I hammered some curbs in my sleep... anyhow they got it back as close to zero as possible but still its about -.1 now and believe it or not my steering wheel is more center now. The only other adjustment I had them do is a bit more - camber on the fronts. Just though this was relevant, and it did not have to do with the tie rod. But also not sure that the rear tow has to do with the steering wheel being centered...

John D.

steering wheel straight--but car pulls/drifts to passenger side with hands off the steering wheel

after alignment last week......still the same as above ^^^:(

taking car into the dealer to see what they can do

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Archived