LegacyGT.com

Can anyone say... Turbo please! RHB52 Info.

I have a 97 Legacy GT with a IHI RHB52 turbo. When I bought the car, (a no start for $1500) my turbo was leaking oil on the compressor side. Me being an auto tech thought shaft has no play, seals are bad and needs a rebuild. I had no experience with turbos before this so I used my friend Google to help me gain enough knowledge to rebuild my turbo. Well... now its bad. Leaking out of the compressor and exhaust side! :eek::spin:this is how I feel now. I haven't taken the turbo out yet but I have a feeling its, dead. I never took the shaft out of the heat shield and tried not to move the heat shield but had to torch the exhaust side to separate it from the base. I'm guessing this may have moved the heat shield. Like I said I'm not sure yet so before I take it out I'm looking for RHB52 (VF11 I believe) compatible turbos? Can I put any IHI VF turbos on my 2.5 TC engine?

Did I rebuild what? The turbo yes and failed. I just checked my block hopping the previous owner was smart and did an engine swap before installing the turbo. Its the EJ25... at the front of the block it said EJ25! not EJ25D. I hope some idiot didn't put 25 in instead of the 25D. Well now I have two options, since the block has no problems yet I could turn it back into a standard no turbo car and sell it or do an engine swap. I love the body style of this car and its in great shape. If I do an engine swap I'm thinking of putting the 205 in or the 22T or if I can find a 22G I would be a bit more happy. I've already found a 205 and 22T for a really good price. Any suggestions?

my car is an ej25d but on the block only says ej25. so your engine may already be shit out of luck

Its funny if you get a ej22t or whatever the first gen legacies used, at stock that turbo is only pull 170hp so you would need to build the whole engine up, otherwise the ej25 gets 170hp without the turbo

just to let you know, if you go with ej22 you probably want to swap turbos

Thanks! I plan on getting a bigger turbo. I'm already almost done converting it back to stock. I found out today, as weird as this may sound, ej22's are much cheaper than the ej25's because the 25's crap out so often. The car also came with an apexi safc (super airflow converter) so I'm not to worried about witch turbo I get as long as the core can hold up to it. All I need now is an exhaust system and... well I think that's it.

Archived