LegacyGT.com

car randomly starts low rpm, wants to die

I've got a 97 2.5 gt w/ auto trans and on some occasions (maybe 1 in 20 starts) It'll start below 1000 rpm and want to die, which it may if I don't give it some gas. It can happen when the engine is cold or when it is hot...not trend there. My mechanic is baffled by it and thought it may have been related to my bad thermostat and air in the coolant but after fixing that problem this still occurs so we're still scratching our heads. I've got no error codes to work with...although recently, well after this had been happening i got a 420 catalytic converter code that hasn't shown up again a few days after clearing it.

Any ideas? What can I check to rule out various things?

I have heard of times where the material inside the cats will break loose, and will heat up and form a ball of metal, in which it will find its way to the exiting part of the cat and will clog it. Not allowing the car to exhale makes it so it can't inhale, which could be the problem here. Not sure, but it wouldn't hurt to just check your cats and see if that is the issue.

Goodluck!

Kirby

thanks guys. the egr valve seems to open and close just fine after I warm up the car and rev it. haven't got to the cat yet but will probably take it to the emissions place to see if it passes...if it doesn't then I may rip out the cat and take a look.

Archived